A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Windows Service Pack 2
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Win XP-SP2 Firewall

Old January 5th 05, 12:29 AM
Barbara
external usenet poster

Default Win XP-SP2 Firewall

Thanks. Will check into these more.

Barbara
"Jon Erlandson" wrote in message ...
Disconnects typically are due to bad cables, spyware, noise in the line (did you install filters at all used phone jacks?) firewall problems or modem failure. Don't trust your cables because they're new, change them if you have others. A firmware update for the modem might help and try changing ZoneAlarm's setting to "med" in Internet Zone. It's frustrating and there isn't an easy solution but only a process of elimination.

"Barbara" wrote in message ...
Yes. A direct connect to the Westell Modem was installed when got it--two lines into the house. The Modem IS a router according to Bell South and surely the Bell South Tech who called me would have thought of that if it had a firewall. The SP2Firewall was then and is now turned off.

The cable to the Ethernect connection is brand new. I used USB for several months and have had Etnernet only about 3 months.

I'll have to do some digging to understand what to do in the other post. Get back with you after I've attempted that.

Thanks for responding!

Barbara
Forgot to ask... Do you have a direct connect to your modem and does the modem and/or router run a firewall? Doubling up on the firewall causes problems which is why the tech thought SP2 firewall was at fault. If you have another firewall ahead of the computer you don't need ZoneAlarm.

Hi, Jon,

I have Spybot, Ad-aware and Spyware Blaster. Just ran and got none but that doesn't mean it always runs clean. My disconnects aren't those that interrupt work but instead of a pop-up that I can connect with, 75% of the time I have to re-boot. That's annoying. This happened when I had only a USB connection, but after I got the Ethernet connection it stopped for a few months; now has started again. Tried to find an updated driver but there is none.

Thanks for the suggestion of Spyware Guard. Do I use it in addition to those I have or in place of one of them? I do sometimes get spyware that I think was told had some connection with WMP. (I now have WMP10)

Thanks for responding. I'm still looking for why DSL disconnects if not what the Bell South tech said. He, in fact, said he was just checking to see if I was happy with it...have had quite a while...so seemed strange. Then when I told him the problem he blamed on SP2 firewall which is turned off. I use Zone Alarm. He was going to research my problem and call back....never called. As you may have read Bruce said it isn't the SP2 firewall.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated. I know it should disconnect while inactive but the connector should pop up so that I don't have to re-boot seems to me. I does a small percentage of the time.

Barbara

I don't think there is a way to uninstall it without all of SP2 but the disconnects can also be caused by spyware. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/archive/index.php/t-49323 also, don't run anything Norton and install SpywareGuard http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html .

Is there a way to uninstall WIN XP SP2 Firewall without disturbing the rest of SP2?

BellSouth DSL tech tells me it could be the cause of my frequent disconnections. It IS turned off.

--
Barbara
Ads
Old January 5th 05, 12:36 AM
Jon Erlandson
external usenet poster

You gotta realize some of these dialers and hijack programs are not detected. You really need to examine your running processes just to eliminate the possibility.

Update:

Bell South Tech called back and told me to uninstall SP2 and just use SP1. I'm not going to do that. Then he had me change all my IE settings to default and said call if I keep getting disconnected.

I installed Spy Guard as suggested. Thanks. If spyware is the problem then hopefully that will solve it. I have SP2 firewall turned off and ZA working.

Barbara
Yes. A direct connect to the Westell Modem was installed when got it--two lines into the house. The Modem IS a router according to Bell South and surely the Bell South Tech who called me would have thought of that if it had a firewall. The SP2Firewall was then and is now turned off.

The cable to the Ethernect connection is brand new. I used USB for several months and have had Etnernet only about 3 months.

I'll have to do some digging to understand what to do in the other post. Get back with you after I've attempted that.

Thanks for responding!

Barbara
Forgot to ask... Do you have a direct connect to your modem and does the modem and/or router run a firewall? Doubling up on the firewall causes problems which is why the tech thought SP2 firewall was at fault. If you have another firewall ahead of the computer you don't need ZoneAlarm.

Hi, Jon,

I have Spybot, Ad-aware and Spyware Blaster. Just ran and got none but that doesn't mean it always runs clean. My disconnects aren't those that interrupt work but instead of a pop-up that I can connect with, 75% of the time I have to re-boot. That's annoying. This happened when I had only a USB connection, but after I got the Ethernet connection it stopped for a few months; now has started again. Tried to find an updated driver but there is none.

Thanks for the suggestion of Spyware Guard. Do I use it in addition to those I have or in place of one of them? I do sometimes get spyware that I think was told had some connection with WMP. (I now have WMP10)

Thanks for responding. I'm still looking for why DSL disconnects if not what the Bell South tech said. He, in fact, said he was just checking to see if I was happy with it...have had quite a while...so seemed strange. Then when I told him the problem he blamed on SP2 firewall which is turned off. I use Zone Alarm. He was going to research my problem and call back....never called. As you may have read Bruce said it isn't the SP2 firewall.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated. I know it should disconnect while inactive but the connector should pop up so that I don't have to re-boot seems to me. I does a small percentage of the time.

Barbara

I don't think there is a way to uninstall it without all of SP2 but the disconnects can also be caused by spyware. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/archive/index.php/t-49323 also, don't run anything Norton and install SpywareGuard http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html .

Is there a way to uninstall WIN XP SP2 Firewall without disturbing the rest of SP2?

BellSouth DSL tech tells me it could be the cause of my frequent disconnections. It IS turned off.

--
Barbara
Old January 5th 05, 02:10 AM
Barbara
external usenet poster

OK, Jon. I posted in a Tom Coyote forum 8 p.m. CST with user name "Nottaguru." Will follow. Thanks for advice.

Barbara
You gotta realize some of these dialers and hijack programs are not detected. You really need to examine your running processes just to eliminate the possibility.

Update:

Bell South Tech called back and told me to uninstall SP2 and just use SP1. I'm not going to do that. Then he had me change all my IE settings to default and said call if I keep getting disconnected.

I installed Spy Guard as suggested. Thanks. If spyware is the problem then hopefully that will solve it. I have SP2 firewall turned off and ZA working.

Barbara

Thanks for responding!

Barbara

Hi, Jon,

Barbara

--
Barbara
Old January 5th 05, 07:38 AM
Jon Erlandson
external usenet poster

I browsed your log and to me (not an expert) it looks clean except for the fact you run Norton which I understand has compatibility issues with SP2. I would try ending all Norton processes and see if that doesn't help.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\NORTON~1\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

OK, Jon. I posted in a Tom Coyote forum 8 p.m. CST with user name "Nottaguru." Will follow. Thanks for advice.

Barbara

Update:

Barbara

Thanks for responding!

Barbara

Hi, Jon,

Barbara

--
Barbara