A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Windows XP Help and Support
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

XP with SP3 memory issue

Old June 2nd 08, 04:02 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Jun 2008
Question XP with SP3 memory issue

For some time now I have noticed that several applications will not shutdown properly and will other use up memory very quickly. Also some applications will not start if an existing copy is running.
I am getting this with several well known applications. Outlook, Winword, Powerpoint, Corel paint shop pro X2, Firefox (although the latest version downloaded seems to have fixed it for Firefox).
I can easily stop them by using taskmaster to kill the processes, but I should not need to do this.
This was very insidious, and I cannot be sure when it started, but recent downloads may be a factor. I am running XP Pro, SP3, Microsoft Office 2003 fully up to date.
I have recently downloaded/installed Logmein Pro, and installed Norton 360. I am a very experienced Windows user, but this one has got me beat.

Any suggestions please?

(BTW I always virus scan, remove adware and other spybots, and have active protection on all the time. I do not think it is a virus, but these things are never certain.
Ads