A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Networking and the Internet with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

WinxpSP1 Pro: Very slow network browsing.

Old April 7th 04, 03:06 AM
Larryk
external usenet poster

Default WinxpSP1 Pro: Very slow network browsing.

I have been having a similar problem with slow browsing. I have been monitoring this forum for the last several weeks trying to find an answer. I found that we used a Single Level Domain Name to Identify our root domain, Microsoft does not recommend the u
se if single level domain names in Active Directory, however they did publish an article on what to do to make it work.
What I did find is if you set up Active Directory with a single level domain name (like the way Windows NT used to have their domains) the Windows XP boxes don't play well. The Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 300684 explains what you need to do in the re
gestry to make things work.

Most of the posts I reviewed seemed to have the same problem as I did (the single level domain name). By following the recomendations in the Knowledge Base Article we did speed up our network browsing from 28 seconds to open a network share to about 9 sec
onds of lag time.

Hope this helps .

Larry Keith
Coastal Telco Services

----- Pratish Dayalji wrote: -----

Microsoft say slow browser networking is by design. They knew all along people would face this problem. Read the following MS KB article,

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288801

Pratish
Ads
Old April 7th 04, 03:19 AM
Larryk
external usenet poster

I have been having a similar problem with slow browsing. I have been monitoring this forum for the last several weeks trying to find an answer. I found that we used a Single Level Domain Name to Identify our root domain, Microsoft does not recommend the u
se if single level domain names in Active Directory, however they did publish an article on what to do to make it work.
What I did find is if you set up Active Directory with a single level domain name (like the way Windows NT used to have their domains) the Windows XP boxes don't play well. The Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 300684 explains what you need to do in the re

Most of the posts I reviewed seemed to have the same problem as I did (the single level domain name). By following the recomendations in the Knowledge Base Article we did speed up our network browsing from 28 seconds to open a network share to about 9 sec
onds of lag time.

Hope this helps .

Larry Keith
Coastal Telco Services

Microsoft say slow browser networking is by design. They knew all along people would face this problem. Read the following MS KB article,

Pratish
Old April 7th 04, 03:32 AM
Larryk
external usenet poster

onds of lag time.

Hope this helps .

Larry Keith
Coastal Telco Services

Pratish
Old April 7th 04, 04:58 AM
Larryk
external usenet poster

onds of lag time.

Hope this helps .

Larry Keith
Coastal Telco Services

Pratish
Old April 7th 04, 05:20 AM
Larryk
external usenet poster

onds of lag time.

Hope this helps .

Larry Keith
Coastal Telco Services

Pratish
Old April 7th 04, 09:44 PM
Larryk
external usenet poster

onds of lag time.

Hope this helps .

Larry Keith
Coastal Telco Services

Pratish
Old April 7th 04, 09:44 PM
Larryk
external usenet poster

onds of lag time.

Hope this helps .

Larry Keith
Coastal Telco Services

Pratish