A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » General XP issues or comments
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

lost startmenu and system tray and all between them

Old April 14th 13, 07:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
DJW
external usenet poster

Default lost startmenu and system tray and all between them

lost my bottom bar with the start menu system tray and open files and apps after i ran an app called Combofix tried adjusting the monitor from front buttons and the display control panel with a higher resolution to shrink the screen to see if it was just off the screen but its gone.I tried system restore but it say something to the effect that it can't restore. also can't drag any icon any place, can rename files and folders and save to and open with a double click
Anyone here of this before especially related to theirs supreme AHOLE of a app ComBoFix!
Ads
Old April 14th 13, 09:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Paul
external usenet poster

DJW wrote:
lost my bottom bar with the start menu system tray and open files and apps after i ran
an app called Combofix tried adjusting the monitor from front buttons and the display
control panel with a higher resolution to shrink the screen to see if it was just off
the screen but its gone.I tried system restore but it say something to the effect that
it can't restore. also can't drag any icon any place, can rename files and folders and
save to and open with a double click
Anyone here of this before especially related to theirs supreme AHOLE of a app ComBoFix!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix

"ComboFix is now preparing to run. When it has finished ComboFix
will automatically attempt to create a System Restore point so
that if any problems occur while using the program you can
restore back to your previous configuration. When ComboFix has
finished creating the restore point, it will then backup your
Windows Registry as shown in the image below."

Perhaps in your malware removal attempts you disabled System
Restore before running it ?

You'll notice next to that, a reference to

C:\qoobox\Hiv-backup

for a registry backup. Maybe check in there and see what
can be salvaged ?

Compare that to these files, and their associated logs and such.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config
SAM
SECURITY
SOFTWARE
SYSTEM

I would make a backup before proceeding further, just
in case you make things worse...

This article is intended to show how you move the old
registry out, and move a new registry set into place.
This is *not* a *recipe* for your situation, because
your System Restore is busted right now. So this is
to show you what kind of commands you might use, if
Combofix actually just copied the registry files.
If it's some other format, maybe someone else here
can help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Paul
Old April 14th 13, 01:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
dadiOH[_2_]
external usenet poster

DJW wrote:
lost my bottom bar with the start menu system tray and open files and
apps after i ran an app called Combofix tried adjusting the monitor
from front buttons and the display control panel with a higher
resolution to shrink the screen to see if it was just off the screen
but its gone.I tried system restore but it say something to the
effect that it can't restore. also can't drag any icon any place, can
rename files and folders and save to and open with a double click
Anyone here of this before especially related to theirs supreme AHOLE
of a app ComBoFix!

Are you sure it isn't just hidden? Tried moving the cursor all the way
down? Perhaps it is moved to one of the other edges and is hidden? Try
moving cursor to each edge to see if it pops out.

--

dadiOH

Winters getting colder? Tired of the rat race?
Taxes out of hand? Maybe just ready for a change?
Check it out... http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Old April 14th 13, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ben Myers[_8_]
external usenet poster

"DJW" wrote in message ...
lost my bottom bar with the start menu system tray and open files and apps after i ran an app called Combofix tried adjusting the monitor from front buttons and the display control panel with a higher resolution to shrink the screen to see if it was just off the screen but its gone.I tried system restore but it say something to the effect that it can't restore.

Go to "Control Panel", "Taskbar and Start Menu" and see if "Auto-hide the taskbar" is checked.
If so, uncheck it and click "OK".

also can't drag any icon any place, can rename files and folders and save to and open with a double click

Right-click a blank spot on the desktop, select "Arrange icons by" and see if "Auto Arrange" is
checked. If so, uncheck it.

Ben
Old April 14th 13, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
DJW
external usenet poster

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 1:13:57 AM UTC-5, DJW wrote:
lost my bottom bar with the start menu system tray and open files and apps after i ran an app called Combofix tried adjusting the monitor from front buttons and the display control panel with a higher resolution to shrink the screen to see if it was just off the screen but its gone.I tried system restore but it say something to the effect that it can't restore. also can't drag any icon any place, can rename files and folders and save to and open with a double click

I tried that right away and its will not show it I did once early in the reboots see a balloon come up over near the system tray saying that I had unused icons so its like it is there but just not showing like a screen anomaly

Old April 14th 13, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
DJW
external usenet poster

I fooled around with all the check boxes in the task bar control panel and got the start menu and bar up but still do not see any icons in the system tray and open apps and folders do not appear in the middle of the bar also still can't drag anything around as icons. But atleast I see the start menu during this whole thing I have been able to run applications via a right click or a double click on their icon. Any suggestions how to get it back to normal? I HAVE NOT TRIED TO LOOK AT WHAT PAUL SUGGESTED ABOVE YET
Old April 14th 13, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ben Myers[_8_]
external usenet poster

I fooled around with all the check boxes in the task bar control panel and got the start menu and bar up but still do not see any icons in the system tray and open apps and folders do not appear in the middle of the bar also still can't drag anything around as icons. But atleast I see the start menu during this whole thing I have been able to run applications via a right click or a double click on their icon. Any suggestions how to get it back to normal? I HAVE NOT TRIED TO LOOK AT WHAT PAUL SUGGESTED ABOVE YET

Right-click a blank spot on the desktop, select "Arrange icons by" and make sure that "Auto Arrange" is not
selected. Also, if you want the quick launch tool bar, right-click the taskbar, select "Toolbars", then "Quick Launch".

Ben
Old April 14th 13, 09:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
DJW
external usenet poster

nothing to do with it Ben auto arrange was not selected however selected it and things moved and then deselected it and still can't drag icons and I do have the quick launch icons showing all I see is one icon in system tray and the start menu button and my quick lunch icons
Old April 14th 13, 10:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ben Myers[_8_]
external usenet poster

nothing to do with it Ben auto arrange was not selected however selected it and things moved and then deselected it and still can't drag icons and I do have the quick launch icons showing all I see is one icon in system tray and the start menu button and my quick lunch icons

Right-click the desktop, select "Arrange icons by" and make sure "Lock Web items on Desktop" is not selected.
Also, right-click the taskbar, select "Properties" and make sure that "Hide inactive icons" is not selected.

Ben