A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Windows 10 » Windows 10 Help Forum
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Virus protection



 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old July 9th 19, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.os.linux.advocacy,sci.physics
AnonLinuxUser
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61
Default I've never run an AntiVirus daemon, never.

On 7/9/2019 12:53 PM, "[email protected]"@ wrote:
I've never run an AntiVirus daemon, never.

Once every year or two, I update "Windows Defender" and do a scan;
-- it never finds anything.

I'm a mega-heavy web user: Windows 10 v1903, Home Edition, Edge,
Firefox, Google Chrome, FTP, WinSCP.EXE, SMTP:465, IMAP:143
( using my custom C++ console+client "http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.HTM" ).


You can thank your ISP for doing the virus scanning for you.

Ads
  #17  
Old July 9th 19, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Stephen Wolstenholme[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 236
Default Virus protection

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 09:06:56 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 09:21:46 -0600, KenW wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 16:05:30 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 09:35:13 -0500, Char Jackson
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 14:44:17 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 08:47:09 -0400, Pat
wrote:

I've using Norton for many years and have been happy with it. I pay a
reasonable price once per year and they provide reasonable protection.
The processing power load doesn't seem excessive for what it does.

A while back, they bought the identity theft protection package
LifeLock and been pestering me to upgrade. I regular click "not
interested" in the pop-up, but in a few weeks, they start again.

What do you guys recommend for anti-virus these days? McAfee?
Kaspersky? Just use what's built into Windows 10?

Pat

I have used Malware Bytes for nearly 14 years. I pay $39.99 a year for
premium. It as never allowed any malware of any type onto my computer.

The consensus seems to be that MalwareBytes is not, and has never been,
a replacement for antivirus software. It looks for other kinds of
malware, though.

What consensus? In my experience MalwareBytes handles viruses along
with a bunch of other types of malware. Sometimes it can be a bit over
the top blocking web sites.

Steve

It has been posted numerous time what files they check .xxx. IT IS NOT
A REPLACEMENT FOR AN ANTI_VIRUS. Anyone that is a regular monitor of
their forum knows this.



Stephen Wolstenholme probably has Windows Defender running, and
doesn't realize it.


No, Defender is not installed on any of my PCs.

Steve

--
http://www.npsnn.com

  #18  
Old July 9th 19, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
😉 Good Guy 😉
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 748
Default Virus protection

On 09/07/2019 22:03, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
No, Defender is not installed on any of my PCs.


If you are using Windows 10 or Windows 8/8.1 then it is installed. If
you are using Windows 7 or prior versions then you may be right.

Why are you trolling here when you are not using Windows 10? Haven't
you got anything better to do? Go to your local gym and shed those
fatty deposits around your belly.




--
With over 999 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

  #19  
Old July 9th 19, 10:33 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,731
Default Virus protection

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:


No, Defender is not installed on any of my PCs.

Steve


Defender on Windows 7 is AntiSpyware.

The optional Microsoft Security Essentials is an AntiVirus.
and is similar to the following items.

Windows 8/8.1/10 come with Windows Defender Antivirus.
It's not removable.

With enough trouble, it can be turned off.

Windows Defender scans critical folders during boot,
as a means of ensuring a "solid base" for the OS
to boot on.

Installing a third-party AV, is likely to disable the
AV component of Windows Defender, but it still has
other services it continues to carry out.

Paul
  #20  
Old July 9th 19, 10:47 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Rabid Robot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Virus protection

On 2019-07-09 8:47 a.m., Pat wrote:
I've using Norton for many years and have been happy with it. I pay a
reasonable price once per year and they provide reasonable protection.
The processing power load doesn't seem excessive for what it does.

A while back, they bought the identity theft protection package
LifeLock and been pestering me to upgrade. I regular click "not
interested" in the pop-up, but in a few weeks, they start again.

What do you guys recommend for anti-virus these days? McAfee?
Kaspersky? Just use what's built into Windows 10?


Windows' built-in anti-virus does the job and it can be configured to
keep a very vigilant eye on your most previous folders like Pictures and
Videos. With that, you're not likely to face any unrecoverable issues.


--
Rabid Robot
Google is your enemy (https://kek.gg/u/z6fQ)
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this
world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
- John 16:33
  #21  
Old July 9th 19, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Ken Blake[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,176
Default Virus protection

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 22:03:42 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 09:06:56 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 09:21:46 -0600, KenW wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 16:05:30 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 09:35:13 -0500, Char Jackson
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 14:44:17 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 08:47:09 -0400, Pat
wrote:

I've using Norton for many years and have been happy with it. I pay a
reasonable price once per year and they provide reasonable protection.
The processing power load doesn't seem excessive for what it does.

A while back, they bought the identity theft protection package
LifeLock and been pestering me to upgrade. I regular click "not
interested" in the pop-up, but in a few weeks, they start again.

What do you guys recommend for anti-virus these days? McAfee?
Kaspersky? Just use what's built into Windows 10?

Pat

I have used Malware Bytes for nearly 14 years. I pay $39.99 a year for
premium. It as never allowed any malware of any type onto my computer.

The consensus seems to be that MalwareBytes is not, and has never been,
a replacement for antivirus software. It looks for other kinds of
malware, though.

What consensus? In my experience MalwareBytes handles viruses along
with a bunch of other types of malware. Sometimes it can be a bit over
the top blocking web sites.

Steve
It has been posted numerous time what files they check .xxx. IT IS NOT
A REPLACEMENT FOR AN ANTI_VIRUS. Anyone that is a regular monitor of
their forum knows this.



Stephen Wolstenholme probably has Windows Defender running, and
doesn't realize it.


No, Defender is not installed on any of my PCs.




Yes it is. Defender is part of Windows 10. It's installed by default,
and Windows has no option to uninstall it. There are ways to disable
it, but you can't uninstall it.
  #22  
Old July 10th 19, 05:01 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Sam Hill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 147
Default Virus protection

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 10:32:38 -0400, Pat wrote:

The only negative was good guy's response stating that I have low
intelligence.


That is a typical "Good Guy" post, always demeaning. It's why he is in
most everyone's killfile.
  #23  
Old July 11th 19, 12:35 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,731
Default Virus protection

Pat wrote:


The only negative was good guy's response stating that I have low
intelligence. In my opinion, a person needs intelligence, training,
and experience to succeed at technical things. You are born with
whatever intelligence you have. You get training in school. But,
experience is only gaining by doing things. Since I retired a while
back, I continue to gain experience from others who post in places
like this forum. Too bad good guy doesn't understand that. In any
case, once again, thanks to all who responded.


We'd hang a sign on GGs neck, but the sign
keeps falling off.

Paul
  #24  
Old July 11th 19, 02:50 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
n/a
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 36
Default Virus protection

"Pat" wrote in message ...

I've using Norton for many years and have been happy with it. I pay a
reasonable price once per year and they provide reasonable protection.
The processing power load doesn't seem excessive for what it does.

A while back, they bought the identity theft protection package
LifeLock and been pestering me to upgrade. I regular click "not
interested" in the pop-up, but in a few weeks, they start again.

What do you guys recommend for anti-virus these days? McAfee?
Kaspersky? Just use what's built into Windows 10?

Pat


You could just turn off the "Special Offer Notifications"

Settings Administrative Settings Enter Password Scroll down to Special
Offer Notification and turn it Off.


--

BobS

  #25  
Old July 11th 19, 01:11 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Keith Nuttle
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,818
Default Virus protection

On 7/10/2019 9:50 PM, n/a wrote:
"Pat"* wrote in message ...

I've using Norton for many years and have been happy with it.* I pay a
reasonable price once per year and they provide reasonable protection.
The processing power load doesn't seem excessive for what it does.

A while back, they bought the identity theft protection package
LifeLock and been pestering me to upgrade.* I regular click "not
interested" in the pop-up, but in a few weeks, they start again.

What do you guys recommend for anti-virus these days?* McAfee?
Kaspersky?* Just use what's built into Windows 10?

Pat


You could just turn off the "Special Offer Notifications"

Settings Administrative Settings Enter Password Scroll down to
Special Offer Notification and turn it Off.


I have used McAfee for decades. Recently I found that my internet
provider provided McAfee free as part of the internet service they
provide. It is now a no brainier, as to what virus program to use.

--
Judge your ancestors by how well they met their standards not yours.
They did not know your standards, so could not try to meet them.

  #26  
Old July 12th 19, 07:47 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.os.linux.advocacy,sci.physics
Jeff-Relf.Me @[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default I've never run an AntiVirus daemon, never.

I've never run an AntiVirus daemon, never.

Once every year or two, I update "Windows Defender" and do a scan;
-- it never finds anything.

I'm a mega-heavy web user: Windows 10 v1903, Home Edition, Edge,
Firefox, Google Chrome, FTP, WinSCP.EXE, SMTP:465, IMAP:143
( using my custom C++ console+client "http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.HTM" ).
  #27  
Old July 12th 19, 07:47 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.os.linux.advocacy,sci.physics
Jeff-Relf.Me @[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default I run my own email server; nothing gets filtered unless I filter it.

Someone replied ( to me ):
I've never run an AntiVirus daemon, never.

Once every year or two, I update "Windows Defender" and do a scan;
-- it never finds anything.

I'm a mega-heavy web user: Windows 10 v1903, Home Edition, Edge,
Firefox, Google Chrome, FTP, WinSCP.EXE, SMTP:465, IMAP:143
( using my custom C++ console+client "http://Jeff-Relf.Me/X.HTM" ).


You can thank your ISP for doing the virus scanning for you.


I run my own email server; nothing gets filtered unless I filter it.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.