A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Security and Administration with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Disable Password Changes

Old June 12th 04, 05:41 AM
Mike_B
external usenet poster

Default Disable Password Changes

My problem is unique. I have several users on an XP Pro machine. My account is Admin. Their single account is limited. On a regular basis they have to update or dowload updates from the web for their various software applications. The limited account does
not allow them to do this. I'm thinking of changing their account to admin. so they can update to their hearts content. But, I have one problem with doing so. If I give them admin rights, they will be able to change their password as they could in the Limi
ted account which was fine because I could always get into their account by removing the password.. But with admin rights assigned to them they could also change my password, thus effectivly locking me out of the machine.

Pleses don't tell me that I should do all the updates--as the above senerio applies to 325 computers streched over a 120 mile area. These are non networked machines, and must stay that way. HELP!!!

Mike_B
--
"Always Learning Something New"
Ads
Old June 12th 04, 02:41 PM
Carlos
external usenet poster

Hello Mike

Run this file C:\WINDOWS\system32\gpedit.msc and give your users escalated rights to for installing software. You will need to look for it but you will see the very many options you will now have, Just don't change too much at once.

Carlos

"Mike_B" wrote:

My problem is unique. I have several users on an XP Pro machine. My account is Admin. Their single account is limited. On a regular basis they have to update or dowload updates from the web for their various software applications. The limited account doe

s not allow them to do this. I'm thinking of changing their account to admin. so they can update to their hearts content. But, I have one problem with doing so. If I give them admin rights, they will be able to change their password as they could in the Li
mited account which was fine because I could always get into their account by removing the password.. But with admin rights assigned to them they could also change my password, thus effectivly locking me out of the machine.

Pleses don't tell me that I should do all the updates--as the above senerio applies to 325 computers streched over a 120 mile area. These are non networked machines, and must stay that way. HELP!!!

Mike_B
--

Old June 12th 04, 02:41 PM
Carlos
external usenet poster

Hello Again Mike

I looked it up for you and found it under

(Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Installer)

in the gpedit.msc

"Carlos" wrote:

Hello Mike

Run this file C:\WINDOWS\system32\gpedit.msc and give your users escalated rights to for installing software. You will need to look for it but you will see the very many options you will now have, Just don't change too much at once.

Carlos

"Mike_B" wrote:

My problem is unique. I have several users on an XP Pro machine. My account is Admin. Their single account is limited. On a regular basis they have to update or dowload updates from the web for their various software applications. The limited account d

oes not allow them to do this. I'm thinking of changing their account to admin. so they can update to their hearts content. But, I have one problem with doing so. If I give them admin rights, they will be able to change their password as they could in the
Limited account which was fine because I could always get into their account by removing the password.. But with admin rights assigned to them they could also change my password, thus effectivly locking me out of the machine.

Mike_B
--