A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Printing and Faxing with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Can't print to a network printer through the XP IC Firewall

Old March 1st 04, 05:47 PM
Linda
external usenet poster

Default Can't print to a network printer through the XP IC Firewall

Have read all messages I can find on this board and others that refer to this issue. All response posts say "If the Internet Connection Firewall is enabled, disable it, OR you need to open the sharing ports."
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp
I WANT the ICF enabled and I want to be able to print to my network printer, which is an HP using JetDirect card.
My problem is I cannot seem to open up the correct sharing ports for my HP printer, (set up as "HP Standard TCP/IP Port") because the port numbers keep changing. A netstat shows the outgoing communication on port 9100 but the responses from the printer ar
e coming back on random ports. The printer works fine if I disable ICF. I have tried opening all different ports in the firewall after days of reading up on this issue, but am still unsuccessful. Called HP support and they told me it was a Windows XP TC
P/IP stack issue - not their problem. HELP?
Ads
Old March 1st 04, 08:10 PM
Linda
external usenet poster

Default Can't print to a network printer through the XP IC Firewall

I believe I finally got this working. I had tried opening up ports TCP 139, 445; UDP 137, 138, 445 before and it didn't work...must be I missed something because when I tried it again (with someone else looking on) it worked.