A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Networking and the Internet with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

windows XP file sharing bug

Old July 16th 04, 04:58 PM
Jog Dial
external usenet poster

Default windows XP file sharing bug

Hi, I've come across a bug in windows and searching on this today didn't bring up any answers as to whether MS has acknowledged it, is tracking it, fixing it etc... And if not how do I go about reporting it and getting it acknowledged?

The bug is specifically:

Windows XP workstation shares a file, then opens the file and edits it leaving the file open.

Another windows XP workstation browses to the file and deletes it, the file appears to be deleted and any application that would have deleted the file receives an ack that it has been deleted, however it isn't actually deleted and still exists, pressing F5
in windows browser makes the file re-appear.

This is fairly serious in that our application does try to delete files that are in use and if it thinks it has deleted them, it logs the fact it has and this causes untold troubles down the line.

Can anyone confirm if this has been raised with MS? I need to make this clear to our customers that this is an issue and that it isn't our software's fault, but MS's fault and either find a patch or something to fix it.

Thanks for your help.

--
If a man speaks in a woods and there is no woman there to hear him...
Is he still wrong?
Ads