A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Performance and Maintainance of XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

HELP! getting "Cannot allocate Working memory" error when installing software

Old December 13th 03, 03:22 PM
Richard
external usenet poster

Default HELP! getting "Cannot allocate Working memory" error when installing software

Hi,

I have been trying to install a printer driver (epson) on
my WINXP Home machine. When I initiate the install I get
the message "Cannot allocate working memory, close all
open programs, restart windows and try again"

This happens every time. First time I have ever had a
problem like this. Any hints?

Thanks,

Rich.
Ads
Old July 2nd 04, 05:47 AM
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Jul 2004
Angry

My system has 1gb of RAM and I get the exact same error message. It is while trying to install an Epson R200 printer. Since Epson's drivers are locked up in their install program, there doesn't appear to be a manual way to do the installation. I have closed down all Windows XP services, and programs I have running, even uninstalled some programs that I thought might be causing the problem. All to no avail.

I have even uninstalled and reinstalled other hardware to see if there is an issue with installing hardware in general.

I double checked the Windows memory mangement settings, and Windows is managing everything. I switched to manual, and set the allocations as high as I could. Still NANA.

I would love to see if you have found a resolution for this, or would LOVE to hear from somebody who has found a work around.

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard
Hi,

I have been trying to install a printer driver (epson) on
my WINXP Home machine. When I initiate the install I get
the message "Cannot allocate working memory, close all
open programs, restart windows and try again"

This happens every time. First time I have ever had a
problem like this. Any hints?

Thanks,

Rich.
Old July 3rd 04, 01:32 PM
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Jul 2004

AGH! I have the same problem - please email me ) if you manage to find a solution! when i called epson they said "i've never heard of it before" and told me to by more RAM, but i believe i have plenty and don't want to buy more if not necessary! HELP![

QUOTE]Originally posted by xioc1138
My system has 1gb of RAM and I get the exact same error message. It is while trying to install an Epson R200 printer. Since Epson's drivers are locked up in their install program, there doesn't appear to be a manual way to do the installation. I have closed down all Windows XP services, and programs I have running, even uninstalled some programs that I thought might be causing the problem. All to no avail.

I have even uninstalled and reinstalled other hardware to see if there is an issue with installing hardware in general.

I double checked the Windows memory mangement settings, and Windows is managing everything. I switched to manual, and set the allocations as high as I could. Still NANA.

I would love to see if you have found a resolution for this, or would LOVE to hear from somebody who has found a work around.
[/quote]