A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows 8 » Windows 8 Help Forum
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

[MICROSOFT] Introducing web capture for Microsoft Edge



 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 30th 20, 05:08 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,873
Default [MICROSOFT] Introducing web capture for Microsoft Edge

Jeff Barnett wrote:
On 9/29/2020 8:00 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

[ Microsoft Web Capture ] https://i.imgur.com/2nBTmCa.png


Since the release of the new Microsoft Edge, we have heard a lot of
feedback about missing the web notes tool that allowed you to capture
and mark up content across the web. Frankly, we’ve missed it too! But
first, we wanted to make it better. While web notes was a great
feature, there was also room for improvement. Many of you reported
using it for capturing quick screenshots to copy or share, while
others loved the ability to to mark-up full webpages with scrolling.
So, we designed the new screenshot feature, web capture, with this in
mind and are excited to introduce the basic screen capture
functionality to our Dev and Canary builds. In the near future, you
can expect to see more functionalities added to web capture, like
adding ink or highlights to your captures, capturing full webpages,
and scrolling while marking them.


https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-web-capture-for-microsoft-edge/m-p/1721318


Is this the same thing as Ctrl S in FF and a few dozen other browsers?
The curious want to know.


Example:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-chromium.html

"Press the Ctrl + Shift + S keys."

Paul
Ads
  #2  
Old September 30th 20, 12:06 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.windows7.general
mechanic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,064
Default [MICROSOFT] Introducing web capture for Microsoft Edge

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 00:08:08 -0400, Paul wrote:

Jeff Barnett wrote:
On 9/29/2020 8:00 PM, * Good Guy * wrote:

[ Microsoft Web Capture ] https://i.imgur.com/2nBTmCa.png


Since the release of the new Microsoft Edge, we have heard a lot of
feedback about missing the web notes tool that allowed you to capture
and mark up content across the web. Frankly, we’ve missed it too! But
first, we wanted to make it better. While web notes was a great
feature, there was also room for improvement. Many of you reported
using it for capturing quick screenshots to copy or share, while
others loved the ability to to mark-up full webpages with scrolling.
So, we designed the new screenshot feature, web capture, with this in
mind and are excited to introduce the basic screen capture
functionality to our Dev and Canary builds. In the near future, you
can expect to see more functionalities added to web capture, like
adding ink or highlights to your captures, capturing full webpages,
and scrolling while marking them.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-web-capture-for-microsoft-edge/m-p/1721318


Is this the same thing as Ctrl S in FF and a few dozen other browsers?
The curious want to know.


Example:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-chromium.html

"Press the Ctrl + Shift + S keys."

Paul


What's this 'Canary' build stuff? What's the version number they're
talking about?
  #3  
Old September 30th 20, 12:40 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,873
Default [MICROSOFT] Introducing web capture for Microsoft Edge

mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 00:08:08 -0400, Paul wrote:

Jeff Barnett wrote:
On 9/29/2020 8:00 PM, �� Good Guy �� wrote:
[ Microsoft Web Capture ] https://i.imgur.com/2nBTmCa.png


Since the release of the new Microsoft Edge, we have heard a lot of
feedback about missing the web notes tool that allowed you to capture
and mark up content across the web. Frankly, we’ve missed it too! But
first, we wanted to make it better. While web notes was a great
feature, there was also room for improvement. Many of you reported
using it for capturing quick screenshots to copy or share, while
others loved the ability to to mark-up full webpages with scrolling.
So, we designed the new screenshot feature, web capture, with this in
mind and are excited to introduce the basic screen capture
functionality to our Dev and Canary builds. In the near future, you
can expect to see more functionalities added to web capture, like
adding ink or highlights to your captures, capturing full webpages,
and scrolling while marking them.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-web-capture-for-microsoft-edge/m-p/1721318

Is this the same thing as Ctrl S in FF and a few dozen other browsers?
The curious want to know.

Example:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-chromium.html

"Press the Ctrl + Shift + S keys."

Paul


What's this 'Canary' build stuff? What's the version number they're
talking about?


To keep canarys, you'll need a bird cage and a bag of seed.
Scroll down.

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download

There could be some relationship, between the
Chromium (source) build number and the ChromEdge (derived)
build number. They do that with the Thunderbird build
number and the Firefox ESR it's derived from. Since I
don't use ChromEdge, I hardly notice build numbers.

Paul
  #4  
Old September 30th 20, 02:03 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.windows7.general
John Doe[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,378
Default [MICROSOFT] Introducing web capture for Microsoft Edge

Paul wrote:

mechanic wrote:


What's this 'Canary' build stuff? What's the version number they're
talking about?


To keep canarys, you'll need a bird cage and a bag of seed.
Scroll down.


Birds also require grit to grind up the seed they swallow hole.

Seemed pertinent to the discussion.
  #5  
Old September 30th 20, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.windows7.general
Jenny Telia[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 34
Default [MICROSOFT] Introducing web capture for Microsoft Edge

On 30/09/2020 13:06, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 00:08:08 -0400, Paul wrote:

Jeff Barnett wrote:
On 9/29/2020 8:00 PM, ������ Good Guy ������ wrote:

[ Microsoft Web Capture ] https://i.imgur.com/2nBTmCa.png


Since the release of the new Microsoft Edge, we have heard a lot of
feedback about missing the web notes tool that allowed you to capture
and mark up content across the web. Frankly, we’ve missed it too! But
first, we wanted to make it better. While web notes was a great
feature, there was also room for improvement. Many of you reported
using it for capturing quick screenshots to copy or share, while
others loved the ability to to mark-up full webpages with scrolling.
So, we designed the new screenshot feature, web capture, with this in
mind and are excited to introduce the basic screen capture
functionality to our Dev and Canary builds. In the near future, you
can expect to see more functionalities added to web capture, like
adding ink or highlights to your captures, capturing full webpages,
and scrolling while marking them.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-web-capture-for-microsoft-edge/m-p/1721318


Is this the same thing as Ctrl S in FF and a few dozen other browsers?
The curious want to know.


Example:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-chromium.html

"Press the Ctrl + Shift + S keys."

Paul


What's this 'Canary' build stuff? What's the version number they're
talking about?


'Canary' is a gay way of saying 'beta'. The people who try it are like
the canaries that used to be sent down into mines to test the quality of
the air.
  #6  
Old September 30th 20, 07:34 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,873
Default [MICROSOFT] Introducing web capture for Microsoft Edge

Jenny Telia wrote:
On 30/09/2020 13:06, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 00:08:08 -0400, Paul wrote:

Jeff Barnett wrote:
On 9/29/2020 8:00 PM, ������ Good Guy ������ wrote:
[ Microsoft Web Capture ] https://i.imgur.com/2nBTmCa.png


Since the release of the new Microsoft Edge, we have heard a lot of
feedback about missing the web notes tool that allowed you to capture
and mark up content across the web. Frankly, we’ve missed it too! But
first, we wanted to make it better. While web notes was a great
feature, there was also room for improvement. Many of you reported
using it for capturing quick screenshots to copy or share, while
others loved the ability to to mark-up full webpages with scrolling.
So, we designed the new screenshot feature, web capture, with this in
mind and are excited to introduce the basic screen capture
functionality to our Dev and Canary builds. In the near future, you
can expect to see more functionalities added to web capture, like
adding ink or highlights to your captures, capturing full webpages,
and scrolling while marking them.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-web-capture-for-microsoft-edge/m-p/1721318

Is this the same thing as Ctrl S in FF and a few dozen other browsers?
The curious want to know.
Example:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-chromium.html

"Press the Ctrl + Shift + S keys."

Paul

What's this 'Canary' build stuff? What's the version number they're
talking about?


'Canary' is a gay way of saying 'beta'. The people who try it are like
the canaries that used to be sent down into mines to test the quality of
the air.


Alpha ----- Beta ----- Release === human has tried to run program
\ once in each case
\
Canary === automated build, you do the
(Nightly) testing to see if it even runs

I would not run a Canary on my regular C: drive.

I would install it in an OS inside a virtual machine,
then if it ate my C: drive for lunch, I would not
care.

I've had Nightly builds of software, where you
try to run them and they complain about certain
DLLs being missing. Just to give an example of what
happens sometimes. Most of the time, these things
are airtight and safe, but not always. For example,
a Nightly could have an undiscovered "Delete" bug
in it...

In the case of browser testing, if the browser supports
"alternate profile selection" such that it won't
destroy my regular profile bookmarks file, then I
could probably test it on the HDD C: drive. For example,
if you build Chromium at home (needs 32GB RAM approx),
when you are finished, there is a mechanism in the
build tree where you can run your new executable
with a "temporary profile". This allows testing
without harming anything else, and without using VMs.
It's a great feature.

Whereas the Canary above, it's an installer (not a build
tree), and it's going to remove the existing Program File
install and install the Nightly in its place. And it may
not have the desired level of profile selection control,
to make things entirely "safe", for some value of "safe".

Firefox/TB have Profile Manager, and there's some
non-standard procedure for triggering it and using it.
I don't know if Chromium bothers with such things.

I don't know if there's any gayness involved, but
you should be aware of the risks with a Nightly,
to some degree. Any process that's fully automated
and doesn't involve humans, there could eventually
be a surprise. I'm sure the developers would be
very apologetic if the software deleted your bookmarks
due to some incompatibility. You would hear
snicker in the background.

Remember what your mom said, something about
"poking your eyeball out with that thing". I
can attribute the fact I still have 1.875 eyeballs
to the copious warnings I received as a youth.

Paul
  #7  
Old October 1st 20, 02:34 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8,alt.windows7.general
Brian Gregory[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20
Default [MICROSOFT] Introducing web capture for Microsoft Edge

On 30/09/2020 16:49, Jenny Telia wrote:
'Canary' is a gay way of saying 'beta'. The people who try it are like
the canaries that used to be sent down into mines to test the quality of
the air.


No.

It's more like an alpha or pre-alpha.

Only a gay wouldn't know that.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.