A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows 8 » Windows 8 Help Forum
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.



 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old August 9th 16, 12:48 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8
chrisv
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 427
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

Bob wrote:

Last time I tried the so-called most user friendly version of Ubuntu on a
brand new build, it failed miserably and never could get a NIC driver or
video driver for it. Tried it on older hardware and it liked the old NVidia
video but screwed up the USB and DVD.


Think hard, now: Do you think that if Linux was vetted and
pre-installed by the OEM, like Windows is, you would not have had
those problems?

Plus it constantly hung with error
messages that only a physics professor would understand. A mere mortal
doesn't stand a chance.


Strange, I've never had that happen in my entire life.

So if Linux is your choice - great, enjoy it but don't try to convince us
it's problem free


Neither is Windows, unquestionably THE most hacked OS.

--
"Linux simply isn't mature enough and rich enough for the average home
user ..." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark
Ads
  #17  
Old August 9th 16, 01:07 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8
chrisv
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 427
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

Bob wrote:


Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.


FFS "Bob", learn how to quote in USENET. ("Bob" did not write the
above.)

--
'Only in COLA can someone recommend giving 250 Linux distros to a guy
who doesn't know how to turn a PC on in order that he might "evaluate"
the solution best meeting his (unknown) needs.' - "True Linux
advocate" Hadron Quark
  #18  
Old August 9th 16, 01:26 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8
chrisv
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 427
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

Big Bad Bob wrote:

Bob so wittily quipped:

snippage

So if Linux is your choice - great, enjoy it but don't try to convince
us it's problem free - it isn't. It is also one of the most hacked
server OSes in the world too. Most of those big name hacks we've heard
about this past year were running Linux front-ends. Not exactly a
secure system but yes, it is less expensive up-front but over time, you
pay.


FUD noted


FUD and idiocy. Linux is the most widely-used server OS in the world,
by far, and not because it's "less expensive up front". It's because
it's the best tool for the job.

--
"OSS is far more likely to break standards because of the lack of
formal acceptance tests" - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark
  #19  
Old August 9th 16, 01:27 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Zax
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 16:14:01 -0400, Bob wrote in
Message-Id: :

You'll never convince the world that Linux is the better OS. Been there,
done that and it's a plain bitch to work with. Great for the geeks that
have the time to invest in playing with it but it can be a real time waster
for those that want an OS to "Just work".


There's nothing wrong with wanting something that works out of the box.
Millions of people are migrating to tablets for that exact reason. If
Windows ticks all your boxes, go with it, there's no reason to learn
something else just for the sake of learning it.

Bashing Linux doesn't make it better or worse, just less suitable for
your specific needs. The infrastructure that delivers our Internet
experiences is almost entirely Linux based, as are our mobile phones and
other modern living accessories. In a few years, our heating systems
will run it, along with our washing machines and fridges. The Internet
of Things is coming.

Desktop / Laptop computers are the last bastion of Windows and it serves
them very well. I have no issues with it.

--
pub 1024D/228761E7 2003-06-04 Steven Crook
Key fingerprint = 1CD9 95E1 E9CE 80D6 C885 B7EB B471 80D5 2287 61E7
sub 4096R/BE3EFAA7 created: 2014-11-14 expires: 2016-11-13 usage: S
  #20  
Old August 9th 16, 01:45 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8
mechanic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 712
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 05:24:05 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

So you admit you don't know anything about Linux, but still feel
qualified to comment on whether it's better or worse than
anything else?


Yes, and not just once either.
  #21  
Old August 9th 16, 05:55 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

On 8/8/2016 1:14 PM, Bob wrote:


Linux would be the Mercedes equivalent, right?

And Win-10-nic would be a YUGO
.................................................. ..............................

You'll never convince the world that Linux is the better OS. Been
there, done that and it's a plain bitch to work with. Great for the
geeks that have the time to invest in playing with it but it can be a
real time waster for those that want an OS to "Just work".


Linux is an OS for those people for whom time has no value.

Actually, it's very useful for some software development and for
embedded products that need an OS, but of course it's not a consumer
product.

Even in the world of embedded development, semiconductor companies have
been dropping Linux development tools because it's just too much of a
hassle. If there was ONE version of Linux they might have continued but
they were bombarded with demands to support multiple Linux versions and
they couldn't continue, so now it's Windows only. Always amusing to go
to a hands-on seminar and see a load of Macbooks running Windows in
order to use the development tools. Apple could greatly increase Macbook
sales if they would just swallow their pride and offer dual-boot systems
direct from Apple so that commercial and business customers that need to
run Windows apps could do so without having to buy and install retail
versions of Windows. Just charge an extra $100 for a dual-boot system.

  #22  
Old August 9th 16, 06:31 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Big Bad Bob
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 723
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

On 08/08/16 17:23, Bob so wittily quipped:


"Big Bad Bob" wrote in message
...

On 08/08/16 13:14, Bob so wittily quipped:

snippage

So if Linux is your choice - great, enjoy it but don't try to convince
us it's problem free - it isn't. It is also one of the most hacked
server OSes in the world too. Most of those big name hacks we've heard
about this past year were running Linux front-ends. Not exactly a
secure system but yes, it is less expensive up-front but over time, you
pay.


FUD noted

Have no idea what FUD means in this context so feel free to spell it
out. The online definitions I found don't seem to apply - good or bad.


FUD = 'Fear' 'Uncertainty' and 'Doubt'. Generally does not refer to the
content itself, but in the effect it creates.

you said in reference to linux, things like 'it is also one of the most
hacked server OSes in the world' which is TOTAL ****. You must have
read that on a pro-Micro-shaft forum from a Micro-shaft shill, or from
intentional anti-Linux "FUD" literature from the early noughties.

There was a LOT of this kind of crap, back then. It's still
circulating, too, and NONE of that **** is true. It's all Micro-****
spreading the 'Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt' about Linux because they
CANNOT! PRODUCE! A! BETTER! OPERATING! SYSTEM! THEMSELVES!

only NOW it's 'Embrace, Extend, Extinguish' by attempting to integrate
bash with Win-10-nic. Same thing. Absorb it and add its uniqueness to
their own, like "the Borg", and then FORCE everyone into THEIR solution,
LOCK THEM IN, and *even* make them AFRAID to *CHANGE* (that thing so
embraced by MS shills and political liberals these days) to something
that's TRULY BETTER.




  #23  
Old August 9th 16, 06:37 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Big Bad Bob
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 723
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

On 08/09/16 09:55, sms so wittily quipped:
On 8/8/2016 1:14 PM, Bob wrote:


Linux would be the Mercedes equivalent, right?

And Win-10-nic would be a YUGO
.................................................. ..............................


You'll never convince the world that Linux is the better OS. Been
there, done that and it's a plain bitch to work with. Great for the
geeks that have the time to invest in playing with it but it can be a
real time waster for those that want an OS to "Just work".


Linux is an OS for those people for whom time has no value.


you are SO full of ****, you know. And so is the person you responded to.

Actually, it's very useful for some software development and for
embedded products that need an OS, but of course it's not a consumer
product.


what do you mean 'of course'. that's just BULL**** to make THAT kind of
assumption/assertion. You deliberately torpedoed your attempt at
"saying something nice about Linux" by the way. So transparent.

Even in the world of embedded development, semiconductor companies have
been dropping Linux development tools because it's just too much of a
hassle.


names, please. The 'Straw Man' corporation maybe?

If there was ONE version of Linux they might have continued but
they were bombarded with demands to support multiple Linux versions and
they couldn't continue, so now it's Windows only.


you are SO full of ****.

if there were ONE version of Windows, we'd end up with... Win-10-nic!

(yeah, THAT is an IMPROVEMENT... *NOT*)


--
your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie
"Straighten up and fly right"

  #24  
Old August 9th 16, 07:06 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Melzzzzz[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 71
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 10:37:34 -0700
Big Bad Bob wrote:

On 08/09/16 09:55, sms so wittily quipped:
On 8/8/2016 1:14 PM, Bob wrote:


Linux would be the Mercedes equivalent, right?

And Win-10-nic would be a YUGO
.................................................. ..............................


You'll never convince the world that Linux is the better OS. Been
there, done that and it's a plain bitch to work with. Great for
the geeks that have the time to invest in playing with it but it
can be a real time waster for those that want an OS to "Just
work".


Linux is an OS for those people for whom time has no value.


you are SO full of ****, you know. And so is the person you
responded to.

That's snit...
  #25  
Old August 9th 16, 08:04 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Snit[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 811
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

On 8/9/16, 11:06 AM, in article [email protected], "Melzzzzz"
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 10:37:34 -0700
Big Bad Bob wrote:

On 08/09/16 09:55, sms so wittily quipped:
On 8/8/2016 1:14 PM, Bob wrote:


Linux would be the Mercedes equivalent, right?

And Win-10-nic would be a YUGO
.................................................. .........................
.....


You'll never convince the world that Linux is the better OS. Been
there, done that and it's a plain bitch to work with. Great for
the geeks that have the time to invest in playing with it but it
can be a real time waster for those that want an OS to "Just
work".

Linux is an OS for those people for whom time has no value.


you are SO full of ****, you know. And so is the person you
responded to.

That's snit...


Yeah, I lie and spew bull**** in ways that cannot be quoted. It is am
AMAZING skill I have.

And then when those who troll want to "prove" otherwise they simply note my
noting this and then claim that I am wrong... going into idiotic meta-debate
mode without actually ever saying what they think I am wrong about.

Or they act like Marek and claim I was "owned" by Peter, whatever that
means, in a way that cannot be quoted... or I was busted using a sock in a
way that cannot be shown... or I... well, you get the idea -- no actual
evidence.

Does not mean I do no wrong, of course... but those who troll me do so
because they know THEY do a lot more immoral things than I do... and make
more mistakes.

Just amazing to watch.

--
* OS X / Linux: What is a file? http://youtu.be/_dMbXGLW9PI
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

  #26  
Old August 9th 16, 08:21 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Marek Novotny[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 76
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

On 2016-08-09, Snit wrote:
On 8/9/16, 11:06 AM, in article [email protected], "Melzzzzz"
wrote:


// snip

That's snit...


Yeah, I lie and spew bull**** in many ways. It is an AMAZING skill I have.
I was "powned" by Peter, whatever that means.


Made some corrections for you. You're welcome...

--
Marek Novotny
https://github.com/marek-novotny
  #27  
Old August 9th 16, 08:55 PM posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Snit[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 811
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

On 8/9/16, 12:21 PM, in article
, "Marek Novotny"
wrote:

Yeah, I lie and spew bull**** in many ways. It is an AMAZING skill I have.
I was "powned" by Peter, whatever that means.

Made some corrections for you. You're welcome...


What you are doing is authoring text and then falsely attributing it to me.
You are being dishonest.

Keep in mind you have made accusations against me you CANNOT back, and you
snip ALL evidence proving how you made an ass of yourself. Here, again...
just to watch you run.

Peter Köhlmann:
-----
For linux (for example Opensuse) this is just a few mouseclicks on
both side in *GUI* programs to get it working, all in all taking
less than a minute to do the complete setup

Since the lying imbecile claims that OSX is way superior to linux
(especially on the GUI), lets have a smalll video from that
dimbulb. I naturally expect that his example will show the
"challenge" to take substantial less time than on linux...
-----
Where the exact task as descibed takes *less* than a minute (in
fact, less than 30 seconds when you know how it is done) to do it
with a GUI.
-----

Marek:
-----
Nope, he asked that you do it manually, not with a GUI app
-----
Typical Snit, runs for the GUI app for sale because he's a
clueless Mac idiot.
-----
NFS is quite possibly the easiest of all sharing to set up. And
Snit immediately runs to a GUI util for $20 because he has no clue
at all how to do it out of the box with what Apple provided.
-----
Not only could he not do it with what comes out of the box with
the Mac, he had to run to a GUI util to do what a simple command,
which is built in, could do.
-----
He's a moron, Tom. This is the same guy that went looking for a
$20 GUI app because he's too stupid to type nfsd start on the
command line.
-----

Yeah... you screwed up. Now you are throwing a tantrum. Boo hoo for you. In
the past you have said you do not keep track of past conversations... but
you now CLAIM to... saying I did things you cannot show.

Comes down to you feel humiliated and are lashing out... throwing a toddler
tantrum. Why?


--
* OS X / Linux: What is a file? http://youtu.be/_dMbXGLW9PI
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

  #28  
Old August 9th 16, 09:03 PM posted to alt.test, comp.sys.mac.advocacy, comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.comp.os.windows-8
Cornelis Tromp
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 108
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

In article
Snit wrote:

On 8/9/16, 11:06 AM, in article [email protected], "Melzzzzz"
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 10:37:34 -0700
Big Bad Bob wrote:

On 08/09/16 09:55, sms so wittily quipped:
On 8/8/2016 1:14 PM, Bob wrote:


Linux would be the Mercedes equivalent, right?

And Win-10-nic would be a YUGO
.................................................. .........................
.....


You'll never convince the world that Linux is the better OS. Been
there, done that and it's a plain bitch to work with. Great for
the geeks that have the time to invest in playing with it but it
can be a real time waster for those that want an OS to "Just
work".

Linux is an OS for those people for whom time has no value.

you are SO full of ****, you know. And so is the person you
responded to.

That's snit...


Yeah, I lie and spew bull**** in ways that cannot be quoted. It is am
AMAZING skill I have.

And then when those who troll want to "prove" otherwise they simply note my
noting this and then claim that I am wrong... going into idiotic meta-debate
mode without actually ever saying what they think I am wrong about.

Or they act like Marek and claim I was "owned" by Peter, whatever that
means, in a way that cannot be quoted... or I was busted using a sock in a
way that cannot be shown... or I... well, you get the idea -- no actual
evidence.

Does not mean I do no wrong, of course... but those who troll me do so
because they know THEY do a lot more immoral things than I do... and make
more mistakes.

Just amazing to watch.

--
* OS X / Linux: What is a file? http://youtu.be/_dMbXGLW9PI
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c


  #29  
Old August 9th 16, 09:35 PM posted to alt.test, comp.sys.mac.advocacy, comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10, alt.comp.os.windows-8
Anonymous
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 160
Default My Windows 8.1 is still running great and rock solid.

In article
Marek Novotny wrote:

On 2016-08-09, Snit wrote:
On 8/9/16, 11:06 AM, in article [email protected], "Melzzzzz"
wrote:


// snip

That's snit...


Yeah, I lie and spew bull**** in many ways. It is an AMAZING skill I have.
I was "powned" by Peter, whatever that means.


Made some corrections for you. You're welcome...

--
Marek Novotny
https://github.com/marek-novotny


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.