A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Microsoft Messenger
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Windows Messenger 5.0 install problem

Old January 10th 04, 09:21 AM
Ron V
external usenet poster

Default Windows Messenger 5.0 install problem

I downloaded Windows messenger 5.0. When i tried to install it, I get an error window and the program will not install.
The error says. " Error occured during installation of assembly component. {874793FC-5F43-496A-8FE7-18C4DB9B143D} HRESULT: -2147024864. What does this mean and how to correct it? I'm running XP Home.

Previuosly I have been running ver 4.7 with no problems. We connect with my relatives many times a week. We got ver 5.0 because of the following: My uncle logged on the other day and he got a window that popped up that said "you needd to update to ver 5.0
. He tried to close the window and it would just keep coming back. He tried to send a messenge and then it said "there is a problem with Windows messenger, you must update to ver 5.0" . So he downloaded 5.0. Then when we tried to connect the webcam with
him, we only would get audio and he would only get video.
I'm thinking the best thing is for both of us; to go back to 4.7, but how do we prevent the updating messeages from coming up?
Ads
Old January 10th 04, 08:02 PM
Jonathan Kay [MVP]
external usenet poster

Default Windows Messenger 5.0 install problem

Xref: kermit microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger:63588

Greetings Ron,

If you click Start, then Run, type "eventvwr.msc" and click OK, click Application on the
left-side, then look for Error's from the "MsiInstaller" source. The most recent one should
be it, assuming you haven't had any other problems with a Windows Installer. Double-click
the Error, and look in the Description field for a more accurate description of the problem.
If you post this description (there's probably multiple Error's in the Event Viewer, so post
all of them), we might be able to figure out the real explanation.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

"Ron V" wrote in message
I downloaded Windows messenger 5.0. When i tried to install it, I get an error window and

the program will not install.
The error says. " Error occured during installation of assembly component.

{874793FC-5F43-496A-8FE7-18C4DB9B143D} HRESULT: -2147024864. What does this mean and how to
correct it? I'm running XP Home.

Previuosly I have been running ver 4.7 with no problems. We connect with my relatives many

times a week. We got ver 5.0 because of the following: My uncle logged on the other day and
he got a window that popped up that said "you needd to update to ver 5.0. He tried to close
the window and it would just keep coming back. He tried to send a messenge and then it said
"there is a problem with Windows messenger, you must update to ver 5.0" . So he downloaded
5.0. Then when we tried to connect the webcam with him, we only would get audio and he would
only get video.
I'm thinking the best thing is for both of us; to go back to 4.7, but how do we prevent the

updating messeages from coming up?