A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Networking and the Internet with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ip address change?

Old May 25th 05, 09:30 PM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: May 2005
Default ip address change?

Can I change my IP address?
Ads
Old May 25th 05, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1a2
Maybe I should expand. I want to know if I can change my IP address on my computer do to a possible Hacker?
Old May 26th 05, 11:31 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Mar 2005

Quote:
Maybe I should expand. I want to know if I can change my IP address on my computer do to a possible Hacker?
How are you connecting, ADSL or DUN? If the former, are you using a modem or router? Do you run a software firewall or rely on a NAT/SPI hardware firewall?

Rik

-----------------
Milton Keynes, UK
Old May 26th 05, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik Bean
How are you connecting, ADSL or DUN? If the former, are you using a modem or router? Do you run a software firewall or rely on a NAT/SPI hardware firewall?
First, thank you for replying. I'm not sure I understand your questions, but I'll try and answer. I connect through my local phone company, no it is not dial up. I have a modem In my computer and a box from the phone company beside my computer. As for the firewall? I have Norton system works, but that is all I'm aware of.
Old May 27th 05, 08:27 AM

Quote:
First, thank you for replying. I'm not sure I understand your questions, but I'll try and answer. I connect through my local phone company, no it is not dial up. I have a modem In my computer and a box from the phone company beside my computer. As for the firewall? I have Norton system works, but that is all I'm aware of.
Are you in the States? If so, I'm beginning to guess here. If you're not dialling, then I would imagine you're on xDSL and the box is a router. If so, you should have instructions on how to access it, usually it's by going to a specific IP via your browser, eg http://192.168.0.1. Can you do that?

If you are behind a NAT firewall, your router should tell you, iow, there should be a setting to turn it on/off. If that's the case, then your IP should not be vulnerable, as it should never be shown to the outside world.

Go he

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/prefcan.asp

and see what it says.

Let me know how that lot goes, and I'll try to work out where to go from there.

Rik

-----------------
Milton Keynes, UK
Old May 27th 05, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Are you in the States? If so, I'm beginning to guess here. If you're not dialling, then I would imagine you're on xDSL and the box is a router. If so, you should have instructions on how to access it, usually it's by going to a specific IP via your browser, eg http://192.168.0.1. Can you do that?

If you are behind a NAT firewall, your router should tell you, iow, there should be a setting to turn it on/off. If that's the case, then your IP should not be vulnerable, as it should never be shown to the outside world.

Go he

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/prefcan.asp

and see what it says.

Let me know how that lot goes, and I'll try to work out where to go from there.
Yes I am from the states. I think you are right. I think it is DSL and the box is a router. I don't know how to do what you mentioned next, but I have figured out that I have an internal and an external IP address. Then I went to the site you suggested and it confirmed it. It says it is showing my internal IP address. It is not supposed to is it? What can i do about that? I want to know how to not have anyone trace me or hack me. Can you help me further?
Old May 28th 05, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Yes I am from the states. I think you are right. I think it is DSL and the box is a router. I don't know how to do what you mentioned next, but I have figured out that I have an internal and an external IP address. Then I went to the site you suggested and it confirmed it. It says it is showing my internal IP address. It is not supposed to is it? What can i do about that? I want to know how to not have anyone trace me or hack me. Can you help me further?
The site isn't malicious, but it's demonstrating that it can 'read' your machine using Java. You could disable Java or use a software firewall to stop it - the problem being that you will need it for some sites to work. Assuming that you're using IE6, to disable it go to Internet Options, click on the advanced tab. Under Microsoft VM, uncheck the box JIT compiler for virtual machines. I say this with all confidence, having read the help file but never having tried it g.

If you run the scans he

http://scan.sygate.com/

you will find out if there are any other vulnerabilities.

The first site gave your internal IP. Your router is probably one address below, eg if your internal is 192.168.0.2, your router will probably be 192.168.0.1. Hit start, then run, type CMD and hit return. In that window, type "IPCONFIG /ALL" (without the quotes). If you look through the information displayed, you will see a setting for Default Gateway. Enter that address into your browser preceded by http://. In the above example, that would be http://192.168.0.1. With most routers, that will open their configuration page.

Let me know how you get on.

Rik

-----------------
Milton Keynes, UK
Old May 29th 05, 05:58 PM

Quote:
The site isn't malicious, but it's demonstrating that it can 'read' your machine using Java. You could disable Java or use a software firewall to stop it - the problem being that you will need it for some sites to work. Assuming that you're using IE6, to disable it go to Internet Options, click on the advanced tab. Under Microsoft VM, uncheck the box JIT compiler for virtual machines. I say this with all confidence, having read the help file but never having tried it g.

If you run the scans he

http://scan.sygate.com/

you will find out if there are any other vulnerabilities.

The first site gave your internal IP. Your router is probably one address below, eg if your internal is 192.168.0.2, your router will probably be 192.168.0.1. Hit start, then run, type CMD and hit return. In that window, type "IPCONFIG /ALL" (without the quotes). If you look through the information displayed, you will see a setting for Default Gateway. Enter that address into your browser preceded by http://. In the above example, that would be http://192.168.0.1. With most routers, that will open their configuration page.

Ok, now I did what you said and got the same IP addresses listed, I got a differant default gateway address though. I tried doing what you said with the http:// it wouldn't let me on that site. It asked for a username and password.

Help, what do I do with all of these numbers? Can I change them, protect them or what? I keep getting strange things sent to me like someone knows personal information about me. How can I not be traced/searched?
Old May 30th 05, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Ok, now I did what you said and got the same IP addresses listed, I got a differant default gateway address though. I tried doing what you said with the http:// it wouldn't let me on that site. It asked for a username and password.

Help, what do I do with all of these numbers? Can I change them, protect them or what? I keep getting strange things sent to me like someone knows personal information about me. How can I not be traced/searched?
You should have received some documentation with the router which gave you the default name and password. The fact that you were asked for it means that you had reached the log-in page for the router, so the number is the right one. Do you know the make and model of the router? You might try admin and password for the user/password combo, see if that works.

Until you get into the router, we don't know what firewall protection you've got in place there, so it's difficult to say what the next step will be. There are two sets of IP addresses in play here, the external one by which you connect to the 'net, and you local one(s) by which you connect to the router and any other computers. The majority, if not all, routers will keep the two separate by using a NAT firewall, it translates a request from your computer's IP into the one used to connect to the 'net - the only exposed IP is the router's, and you can't do much in trying to hack a router.

What sort of things get sent to you? Can you remind me what anti-virus program you are running and whether you are running a software firewall. Have you done a full system virus scan? Do you run adware/malware software? If not, get some and do a scan for that too. One vulnerability can come from trojans, so these scans, and AV protection are vital. Ad-aware and SpyBot are two popular malware apps, personally I use Webroot's SpySweeper, it costs more but it works better for me.

Once we know your machine is clean, and have established you have a working NAT firewall, my guess is that any remaining issues will come from Java and the Messenger service. The latter can be disabled safely (it's nothing to do with Windows Messenger). Start services - hit Start, Run, then type %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s and hit return. Look for the Messenger service, double-click on it and change the startup type to disabled.

Rik

-----------------
Milton Keynes, UK
Old May 31st 05, 06:04 PM

Quote:
You should have received some documentation with the router which gave you the default name and password. The fact that you were asked for it means that you had reached the log-in page for the router, so the number is the right one. Do you know the make and model of the router? You might try admin and password for the user/password combo, see if that works.

Until you get into the router, we don't know what firewall protection you've got in place there, so it's difficult to say what the next step will be. There are two sets of IP addresses in play here, the external one by which you connect to the 'net, and you local one(s) by which you connect to the router and any other computers. The majority, if not all, routers will keep the two separate by using a NAT firewall, it translates a request from your computer's IP into the one used to connect to the 'net - the only exposed IP is the router's, and you can't do much in trying to hack a router.

What sort of things get sent to you? Can you remind me what anti-virus program you are running and whether you are running a software firewall. Have you done a full system virus scan? Do you run adware/malware software? If not, get some and do a scan for that too. One vulnerability can come from trojans, so these scans, and AV protection are vital. Ad-aware and SpyBot are two popular malware apps, personally I use Webroot's SpySweeper, it costs more but it works better for me.

Once we know your machine is clean, and have established you have a working NAT firewall, my guess is that any remaining issues will come from Java and the Messenger service. The latter can be disabled safely (it's nothing to do with Windows Messenger). Start services - hit Start, Run, then type %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s and hit return. Look for the Messenger service, double-click on it and change the startup type to disabled.

I don't think I received an paper work with my router. It was just sent to me from the phone company to connect to the line. I will try it again with the admin/password thing you mentioned.

As for what I am receiving, I am getting emails, phone calls about things that I signed up for through the net. Only I didn't.

I tried the admin/password thing still didn't work, wouldn't let me in. The model of my router is Westell 2110 Wirespeed DSL Modem. Yes I've done a full system scan. I am running Norton System works. I double checked, no paperwork with my router. I do run the ad-ware and spybot. Nothing there either. I tried the start/run....It was already disabled.

Did I do everything? Now what can I do?
Old June 1st 05, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I don't think I received an paper work with my router. It was just sent to me from the phone company to connect to the line. I will try it again with the admin/password thing you mentioned.

As for what I am receiving, I am getting emails, phone calls about things that I signed up for through the net. Only I didn't.

I tried the admin/password thing still didn't work, wouldn't let me in. The model of my router is Westell 2110 Wirespeed DSL Modem. Yes I've done a full system scan. I am running Norton System works. I double checked, no paperwork with my router. I do run the ad-ware and spybot. Nothing there either. I tried the start/run....It was already disabled.

Did I do everything? Now what can I do?
I think the first thing to do is contact the phone company and ask for their help/advice, plus a copy of the manual. In particular, you want to know whether the router has an active NAT firewall (which it should have) and also an SPI firewall, which is desirable. Also,

http://www.westell.com/pages/support/dropdown.jsp

has support and documentation available.

Unfortunately, I don't know the router - but I am no expert. It might be worth posting at:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/

in the general broadband chatter section. There are some very experienced people there who know far more than I ever will, and they may have a solution for you (the site is UK based, but has members from all around the world).

In the UK, we have something called the Telephone Preference Scheme. You register your phone numbers, including mobiles, and it becomes an offence for people to make unsolicited calls to you. Is there a similar organisation in the States?

Do you belong to any forums or Usenet groups where you include your email address and any other data in your signature? There are robots trawling for such data, so it's best to spell it out, eg m y n a m e AT t h i s d o m a i n . c o m, people can still work it out but robots can't. Better yet, get a throway mail address than you can filter off, I use Yahoo and Gmail for this purpose.

From what you say, I'm not certain you're being hacked, but you might be filling in details on sites that sell on. Check the privacy policy of any site you give details to and make sure you opt out of them passing on your details. Often the wording of the opt-out is designed to make you think you're opting out by checking the box when the opposite is true.

If system works stops unauthorise apps contacting the web (and I seem to think it does from 2005 on) then the machine should be clean, but I use Webroot's Window Washer to get rid of tracking cookies after each session. I also use their SpySweeper, which I find more effective than others at getting rid of malware.

At this time, I can't think of anything else to help you - it would be easier if I could pop round and take a look at your machine Feel free to get back to me if there's anthing else you think I can do.

Rik

-----------------
Milton Keynes, UK
Old June 2nd 05, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Hackers as such would have no interest in hacking your PC unless it was for purposes to prove existence of a new exploit (security hole) on the OS you may be running. Bigger worry should be script-kiddies and people running warez/botnet channels. They will scan and try to upload their "root kit" onto your PC in an attempt to use your bandwidth for purposes of sharing copyrighted material without your permission. Having router helps keep your system safe to an extent. You might want to invest into getting yourself a hardware/software firewall (in most cases your router will be able to block unused ports etc. consult with your manual) and an antivirus system. If you're looking for all in one package (for MS Windows) you may wish to visit http://www.f-secure.com and check out F-Secure Internet Security 2005. I'm sure there will be allot of people with allot of different (and some free) suggestions but that's the one I personally like the best (speed of updates is always an issue and these guys seem to update their AV at least 2 times a day).

In the end no matter how good your firewall / antivirus is, you play biggest role in protecting your PC. So use common sense, shut down all services that you are not using, do not download files from people you do not know and even them ask them and make sure they sent you the file. Check the extension and if file is an executable use caution, scan it before you run it. Try use more than just 1 antivirus / firewall and do not open ports you do not need opened. While browsing the web try and use proxy servers (there are allot of free ones out there) and never give out ANY personal info out to emails from "banks" (pay pal included) and so on. Companies that need to know your info already know it. It's as simple as that. I'm certain there will be more people to fill in the gaps I left...
Old October 6th 14, 10:03 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1a2 View Post
Ya sure it is possible to change both your static or dynamic network ip address of your system ..Here i list out the steps to be followed to change the ip address .They are
1.Go to start---run---type cmd
2.Type ipconfig /release
3.Type ipconfig /renew
This will automatically change your ip address if it is dynamic ip .Else if you have static ip then you must have to contact your ISP to change it.After changing your ip visit Ip-Details.com to find your present network ip address ...