A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » About PCbanter » Forum feedback about PCbanter.net
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hot thread, delete and/or repost

Old November 2nd 04, 01:49 PM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Feb 2004
Default Hot thread, delete and/or repost

Q1: what is a "hot thread" and who decides that it is hot ?
Q2: sometimes one never gets a reply to a thread mostly because it's too old and people always look at the new ones.
Q3: Can I delete my own old threads with no reply so far and repost them ?
Q4: To clean up the forum from threads that never got a reply, and thus regaining a lot of space; there should be a possibility that this is happening automatically, after sending the thread starter an automated E-mail to ask him if he's got the problem solved and if he agrees that the thread is deleted, in case of no reply within say 3 days or no confirmation the thread could be autodeleted. Of course only for the threads he placed that got no reply. I can't imagine someone replying to a thread of a few months old.
Ads
Old November 4th 04, 07:35 PM
Administrator

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Dec 2003
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guydpb
Q1: what is a "hot thread" and who decides that it is hot ?
I guess that would be me! It's set up that any thread with more 150 views OR 15 or more replies is deemed a hot thread. I'm not actually able to read every thread but I can adjust the numbers to this criteria if you think it is more appropriate.

Quote:
Q2: sometimes one never gets a reply to a thread mostly because it's too old and people always look at the new ones.
True. If it's more than 3 days since you posted, the chances are that you won't get a response. I suggest re-posting after this period of time or re-phrasing your post. Sometimes it's just a case of the person that knows the answer isn't around when you first post. Sometimes nobody knows the answer. Sometimes the question has been asked a thousand times before and everyone is bored of replying.

Quote:
Q3: Can I delete my own old threads with no reply so far and repost them ?
Feel free to re-post them. I have an auto-delete program which I am testing at the moment (see answer below) so at the moment I have disabled users from deleting their own posts, however I have not ruled this out for the future.

There are other issues surrounding deleting posts, e.g. you may delete them from this forum, but they will have already been distributed through the usenet system, so people may still be replying to the post even if it has disappeared from pcbanter.

This is not an issue after the thread has died, but certainly in the first few days of posting.
Quote:

Q4: To clean up the forum from threads that never got a reply, and thus regaining a lot of space; there should be a possibility that this is happening automatically, after sending the thread starter an automated E-mail to ask him if he's got the problem solved and if he agrees that the thread is deleted, in case of no reply within say 3 days or no confirmation the thread could be autodeleted. Of course only for the threads he placed that got no reply. I can't imagine someone replying to a thread of a few months old.
I am keen for this forum to be an information source that will build over time, therefore quality threads I would want to keep. These can get into the search engines and thus bring new users to this forum.

There is a practical limit to the amount of threads & forums that can be stored in this database before it has a real impact on the sites performance, and it is at this limit now. I have started to remove threads that I believe do not add any value. e.g. threads over 120 days old with no replies and very low page views. I have set this up to run automatically, and may adjust these parameters in order to fine tune it.
Old November 6th 04, 03:35 PM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Feb 2004

Thanks for the reply, good service. Greetings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
I guess that would be me! It's set up that any thread with more 150 views OR 15 or more replies is deemed a hot thread. I'm not actually able to read every thread but I can adjust the numbers to this criteria if you think it is more appropriate.

True. If it's more than 3 days since you posted, the chances are that you won't get a response. I suggest re-posting after this period of time or re-phrasing your post. Sometimes it's just a case of the person that knows the answer isn't around when you first post. Sometimes nobody knows the answer. Sometimes the question has been asked a thousand times before and everyone is bored of replying.

Feel free to re-post them. I have an auto-delete program which I am testing at the moment (see answer below) so at the moment I have disabled users from deleting their own posts, however I have not ruled this out for the future.

There are other issues surrounding deleting posts, e.g. you may delete them from this forum, but they will have already been distributed through the usenet system, so people may still be replying to the post even if it has disappeared from pcbanter.

This is not an issue after the thread has died, but certainly in the first few days of posting.

I am keen for this forum to be an information source that will build over time, therefore quality threads I would want to keep. These can get into the search engines and thus bring new users to this forum.

There is a practical limit to the amount of threads & forums that can be stored in this database before it has a real impact on the sites performance, and it is at this limit now. I have started to remove threads that I believe do not add any value. e.g. threads over 120 days old with no replies and very low page views. I have set this up to run automatically, and may adjust these parameters in order to fine tune it.