A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » The Basics
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Burt's Bees - Grapefruit&Sugar Beet Shampoo, 12 fl oz liquid

Old May 22nd 09, 09:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
No_Name
external usenet poster

Default Burt's Bees - Grapefruit&Sugar Beet Shampoo, 12 fl oz liquid

Price:$7.99
Image: http:///image.php?id=B000FL4410
Best deal: http:///index.php?id=B000FL4410

I bought this product because it is the "safest" and healthiest shampoo (per info on http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/) that I can find in stores at anything near a reasonable price. I also bought the conditioner.I have tried both products now for several days, and overall I am unpleased. Here are my thoughts:Pros:-easy to find compared to other "safe" and healthy shampoos-priced lower than some competitors-recyclable (not recycled!) bottle-excellent, exciting fragrance (this was the best part of the product)-thick texture, didn't fall off my hands-shampoo does actually lather compared to other "safe" shampoos-hair felt clean (too clean?) after shampooing, which is the goal (I haven't noticed a residue yet)Cons (major cons):-shampoo is soooo difficult to distribute through the hair, as it does not have a silky texture, so I ended up having to use a larger quantity of shampoo compared to conventional shampoos (NOTE: I have short, chin-length hair, and once I put the shampoo in, I couldn't move it from root to tip, I had to add more)-shampoo left my hair feeling like straw, so that I couldn't even run my hands through it (again, very short hair)-the companion conditioner (as a side note) does not seem to repair the straw-like texture which the shampoo imparts, so I think the conditioner is more worthless than the shampoo-shampoo is considerably more expensive and comes in a smaller size compared to conventional shampoosI have spent too much money on this shampoo/conditioner set to abandon it, so I will keep using it. Also, I don't have a viable shampoo alternative yet, and I don't want to go back to conventional products (on principle).One way I have dealt with the poor texture the shampoo provides is to get a better conditioner. The best "natural" brand I have found available I had to buy through the internet (which I try to avoid) is Nature's Gate Lavender and Aloe Organic conditioner, which has a decent rating on the Cosmetics Database (although many other Nature's Gate products are not as well rated - be careful).This conditioner fixes the problems of the shampoo, so it is livable. I'm thinking about trying Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap as a shampoo instead, as it has done a really great job on my hands after a couple weeks. The search continues...
I started buying Burt's Bees when I overhauled my beauty products to be more natural and to avoid synthetic ingredients. What I love about this shampoo:1) Free of sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates2) Paraben AND Pthalate-Free (Note that the US just banned Pthalates in baby products...why not adult products?)3) Great Lather4) Hair feels clean, healthy, and not weighed down The only thing I'm not wild about is the scent - it's not offensive, but just not "Wow!" That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for a product that is healthier for me and for the environment.
I have recently been trying to go "green" with my cosmetics and beauty products. While this shampoo isn't 100% natural, it's pretty darn close. Having read reviews both on here and on Burt's Bees' Web site (biased I know, but still...), I was excited to give this one a try. At first I loved it, and, contrary to other reviewers, I actually liked the scent. However, I noticed that my hair didn't stay clean as long as it did with other, more synthetic shampoos. I figured it was because my hair wasn't being stipped of its "natural oils." However, within a week, the shampoo was no longer lathering quite as well and my hair felt almost sticky while trying to rinse the shampoo out. Even more gross, I noticed this white fuzzy stuff in my hair brush. Turns out it was buildup. Now, I have one of those massaging shower heads that you can turn to various levels, so I decided to experiment with more powerful sprays and holding the shower head closer to my scalp to make sure I was completely rinsing the shampoo. That didn't seem to help at all. I'm figuring it has something to do with the shampoo reacting to the hard water, but since I'm living in an apartment, I can't exactly install a water softener to change that. I read up a little bit more on using natural shampoos and soap in hard water areas and some people suggest using vinegar or baking soda rinses, but that didn't seem to work for me. So I switched back to my synthetic Pantene shampoo, and my hair is once again soft and smooth. I might try using the Burt's Bees one most of the time and then just use my synthetic one as a "clarifying" shampoo once a week. I can say that I do love the Grapefruit and Sugarbeet conditioner though!
I recently had a "keratin straightening treatment" to my hair and I'm supposed to avoid shampoos that contain sodium (salt) in them. I ran out of the shampoo I was given with my treatment and started looking for an inexpensive alternative. Who knew that would be an almost impossible task? Even the sulfate-free shampoos contain sodium in them. I was really sick and tired of reading shampoo labels and was so happy when I found this shampoo... until I tried it. I'm not sure why there are so many positive reviews of this product. I did not like it at all. Usually, with any shampoo I've EVER used, my fingers glide through my hair as I wash it. However, as soon as I put this stuff in my hair, my hair felt really stiff. I had a hard time running my fingers through my hair when I was trying to wash it. It left my hair feeling anything but soft. I'll never use this product again.
I read on a website about the dangerous chemicals found in quite a few personal hygene products and decided to try a few that were listed with minimal harmful chemicals to no harmul chemicals. On that list was several Burt's Bees products and all the shampoo & conditioners.I chose this one because out of a limited selection at one of the local stores it was either this or a volumizing (fluff hair for me) version.I'm glad I read other reviews that spoke about a lack of lather and one review who actually noted the chemical used to make those "rich lather" shampoos because if I hadn't, I might have misunderstood this product.Yes, there is almost no lather, but you won't miss it for the quality job it does for your hair. The shampoo not only rinses completely away, it takes off a lot of the residue left behind by other products/shampoo/conditioners/environmental stresses. What it leaves behind is a faint scent and squeaky clean hair. I honestly don't remember the last time my hair was this healthy. I've been using this shampoo with a Burt's Bees conditioner solely for about a month now. I'm amazed that the bottle has lasted that long, but you really don't need much despite having long hair. I will keep buying Burt's shampoos and conditioners and I would recommend them not only for the fact that they are ecologically friendly but because they are darn good products.
Why it Works: Luxurious lather from grapefruit extract, coconut and sunflower oils create a gentle yet effective cleansing complex. Sugar beet extract and soy protein penetrate to strengthen and repair damage. Honey combined with essential oils of orange, lemon, lime, and tangerine moisturize the hair for a naturally beautiful shine. Leave it to Burts to find Natures Secret to super soft, shiny hair! How it Works:Massage into wet hair, and enjoy the aromatic blend of citrus oils while rich lather gently cleans and penetrating proteins strengthen your hair. Follow up with Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner for the ultimate in softness and shine. 12 oz. Â* Ingredients: Water, decyl & lauryl glocosides (natural coconut, corn starch, &sugar soap blend), coco-glucoside and glyceryl oleate (natural sunflower & coconut oil soap blend), soy protein, coco betaine (coconut oil moisturizer), honey, sucrose ester (natural sugar ester), betaine (sugar beet), vegetable glycerin, hydroxypropyltrimonium oligosaccharide (sugar moisturizer), glucose (sugar), grapefruit oil, orange oil, lemon oil, tangerine oil, lime oil, ginger oil, petitgrain oil, xanthan gum (natural thickener), glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase (natural preservative). Â*

SIMILAR PRODUCTS:

Burt's Bees - Grapefruit&Sugar Beet Conditioner, 12 fl oz liquid:http:///index.php?id=B000FL9EGU
Body Wash Citrus and Ginger Root 12 fl.oz:http:///index.php?id=B000FL21XI
Burt's Bees - Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo, 12 fl oz:http:///index.php?id=B000OLQ2HK
Burt's Bees - Baby Bee Shampoo & Wash, 8 oz liquid:http:///index.php?id=B000GVTCSO
More Moisture Rasberry & Brazil Nut Shampoo - 12 oz - Liquid:http:///index.php?id=B000LD3IHS
Ads