A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Networking and the Internet with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LAN trouble--Red X



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 26th 12, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
W. eWatson[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 700
Default LAN trouble--Red X

I'm trying to install camera software on a friend's XP. Actually, the
camera is outside the house, and there's an intermediate box connected
to the PC by an ethernet cable (crossover). The camera is plugged into
the box. I'm pretty confident that we have the right TCP/IP addresses.

If I got to Control Panel, I see two network icons: LAN and
RealTek8139. He doesn't really have a LAN. I'm guessing the realtek port
is the the ethernet port on the PC.

With everything in place, one fires up the camera software, and presses
the Connect button. It should turn green, but does nothing. No green
button and no picture. Comments?

Here are the instructions from the Sentinel (camera) arrangement for
setting IP addresses.
===========================
The Video Sentinel box contains a micro-controller (RCM3200 from Rabbit
Semiconductor) with an Ethernet port that has been configured with a
fixed IP address. By default, the IP address of the Video Sentinel box
is 10.0.0.50. This address is set in the firmware of the
micro-controller and should allow the Video Sentinel box to be used
in a local network. If a different IP address is required, however, the
firmware can be changed at Sandia.

The Network Interface Card that you use to communicate with Video
Sentinel box should be set with a compatible IP address. For example, I
typically set the IP address of the NIC to 10.0.0.2 and set the Subnet
Mask to 255.0.0.0.


Ads
  #2  
Old January 26th 12, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
Char Jackson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,449
Default LAN trouble--Red X

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:51:11 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

I'm trying to install camera software on a friend's XP. Actually, the
camera is outside the house, and there's an intermediate box connected
to the PC by an ethernet cable (crossover). The camera is plugged into
the box. I'm pretty confident that we have the right TCP/IP addresses.


How many physical Ethernet ports does the PC have? Is one of those
ports connected directly to the "intermediate box"? Do the setup
instructions say you should use a crossover cable?

What is the IP address and netmask of the Ethernet port that's
connected to the "intermediate box"? Since the "intermediate box" has
an IP address of 10.0.0.50 it means the directly-connected Ethernet
port on the PC will need an IP address in that subnet, usually with a
netmask of 255.255.255.0, unless a router is in play.

If the PC has a single Ethernet port and it's currently being used for
Internet access, for example, a switch would make sense because it
would allow you to continue using the Internet connection (with the IP
addressing currently configured) while allowing you to set a second IP
address for use with the camera. If you use a switch, however, the
crossover cable should be replaced with a straight cable.

  #3  
Old January 27th 12, 03:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
W. eWatson[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 700
Default LAN trouble--Red X

On 1/26/2012 2:42 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:51:11 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

I'm trying to install camera software on a friend's XP. Actually, the
camera is outside the house, and there's an intermediate box connected
to the PC by an ethernet cable (crossover). The camera is plugged into
the box. I'm pretty confident that we have the right TCP/IP addresses.


How many physical Ethernet ports does the PC have? Is one of those
ports connected directly to the "intermediate box"? Do the setup
instructions say you should use a crossover cable?

One I think. Yes, the arrangement needs a crossover. It has the cable
that was provided by the producer of the box.

What is the IP address and netmask of the Ethernet port that's
connected to the "intermediate box"?

I thought I pasted in the instructions from the manual. Guess not. See
below. 10.0.0.2
Since the "intermediate box" has
an IP address of 10.0.0.50 it means the directly-connected Ethernet
port on the PC will need an IP address in that subnet, usually with a
netmask of 255.255.255.0, unless a router is in play.

No router that I'm aware of. The computer has a wireless facility. I
would guess though there's a router upstair his wife's PC is connected to.

If the PC has a single Ethernet port and it's currently being used for
Internet access, for example, a switch would make sense because it
would allow you to continue using the Internet connection (with the IP
addressing currently configured) while allowing you to set a second IP
address for use with the camera. If you use a switch, however, the
crossover cable should be replaced with a straight cable.


Connect the Video Sentinel box to your PCs Network Interface Card (NIC).
If you are connecting the Video Sentinel box to the computer through a
hub, then standard Ethernet cables should suffice (10/100Base-T). If,
however, you want to connect directly from the
PC to the Video Sentinel box, you should use a crossover Ethernet cable.
Either cable type can be found at office supply stores.

The Video Sentinel box contains a micro-controller (RCM3200 from Rabbit
Semiconductor) with an Ethernet port that has been configured with a
fixed IP address. By default, the IP address of the Video Sentinel box
is 10.0.0.50. This address is set in the firmware of the
micro-controller and should allow the Video Sentinel box to be used
in a local network. If a different IP address is required, however, the
firmware can be changed at Sandia.

The Network Interface Card that you use to communicate with Video
Sentinel box should be set with a compatible IP address. For example, I
typically set the IP address of the NIC to 10.0.0.2 and set the Subnet
Mask to 255.0.0.0. Connect the incoming video cable from the video
camera to the BNC connector on the Video Sentinel.

Plug in the power supply AC power cord and connect the power supply DC
cable to the Video Sentinel box power supply input.

Turn on the PC.
  #4  
Old January 27th 12, 06:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
Char Jackson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,449
Default LAN trouble--Red X

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 19:31:49 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

On 1/26/2012 2:42 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:51:11 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

I'm trying to install camera software on a friend's XP. Actually, the
camera is outside the house, and there's an intermediate box connected
to the PC by an ethernet cable (crossover). The camera is plugged into
the box. I'm pretty confident that we have the right TCP/IP addresses.


How many physical Ethernet ports does the PC have? Is one of those
ports connected directly to the "intermediate box"? Do the setup
instructions say you should use a crossover cable?


One I think. Yes, the arrangement needs a crossover. It has the cable
that was provided by the producer of the box.


To be clear, it only needs a crossover cable if one end is connected
to the PC and the other end is connected to that box. If there's a
hub, switch, router, standalone firewall, or other networking device
in the middle then the cables need to be straight through.

It's troubling, though, that you don't know if there's more than one
Ethernet port on the PC because if there is it could mean that you're
configuring the wrong port.

What is the IP address and netmask of the Ethernet port that's
connected to the "intermediate box"?

I thought I pasted in the instructions from the manual. Guess not. See
below. 10.0.0.2


You did provide some of the instructions from the manual, but
apparently you mixed in some other info, so I didn't know where the
instructions left off. So you're saying the box has 10.0.0.50 and the
PC has 10.0.0.2 with a netmask of 255.0.0.0, right? Can you ping the
box? Does the Ethernet port have a solid Link light? Does it have a
flashing Activity light? Link and Activity are LEDs that are located
right next to where the Ethernet cable plugs in.

Since the "intermediate box" has
an IP address of 10.0.0.50 it means the directly-connected Ethernet
port on the PC will need an IP address in that subnet, usually with a
netmask of 255.255.255.0, unless a router is in play.

No router that I'm aware of. The computer has a wireless facility. I
would guess though there's a router upstair his wife's PC is connected to.


Unless you say otherwise, I assume the wireless stuff is not related
to this camera installation. I assume it's an entirely different
network.

If the PC has a single Ethernet port and it's currently being used for
Internet access, for example, a switch would make sense because it
would allow you to continue using the Internet connection (with the IP
addressing currently configured) while allowing you to set a second IP
address for use with the camera. If you use a switch, however, the
crossover cable should be replaced with a straight cable.


Connect the Video Sentinel box to your PCs Network Interface Card (NIC).
If you are connecting the Video Sentinel box to the computer through a
hub, then standard Ethernet cables should suffice (10/100Base-T). If,
however, you want to connect directly from the
PC to the Video Sentinel box, you should use a crossover Ethernet cable.
Either cable type can be found at office supply stores.

The Video Sentinel box contains a micro-controller (RCM3200 from Rabbit
Semiconductor) with an Ethernet port that has been configured with a
fixed IP address. By default, the IP address of the Video Sentinel box
is 10.0.0.50. This address is set in the firmware of the
micro-controller and should allow the Video Sentinel box to be used
in a local network. If a different IP address is required, however, the
firmware can be changed at Sandia.

The Network Interface Card that you use to communicate with Video
Sentinel box should be set with a compatible IP address. For example, I
typically set the IP address of the NIC to 10.0.0.2 and set the Subnet
Mask to 255.0.0.0. Connect the incoming video cable from the video
camera to the BNC connector on the Video Sentinel.

Plug in the power supply AC power cord and connect the power supply DC
cable to the Video Sentinel box power supply input.

Turn on the PC.


Have you done all that?

  #5  
Old January 27th 12, 01:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
W. eWatson[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 700
Default LAN trouble--Red X

On 1/26/2012 10:46 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 19:31:49 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

On 1/26/2012 2:42 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:51:11 -0800, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

I'm trying to install camera software on a friend's XP. Actually, the
camera is outside the house, and there's an intermediate box connected
to the PC by an ethernet cable (crossover). The camera is plugged into
the box. I'm pretty confident that we have the right TCP/IP addresses.

How many physical Ethernet ports does the PC have? Is one of those
ports connected directly to the "intermediate box"? Do the setup
instructions say you should use a crossover cable?


One I think. Yes, the arrangement needs a crossover. It has the cable
that was provided by the producer of the box.


To be clear, it only needs a crossover cable if one end is connected
to the PC and the other end is connected to that box. If there's a
hub, switch, router, standalone firewall, or other networking device
in the middle then the cables need to be straight through.

None of the above, and no firewall.

It's troubling, though, that you don't know if there's more than one
Ethernet port on the PC because if there is it could mean that you're
configuring the wrong port.

I'll ask my friend today how many ethernet ports it has. Actually, here
are the specs:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId =369807&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=369807&obje ctID=c00059853


What is the IP address and netmask of the Ethernet port that's
connected to the "intermediate box"?

I thought I pasted in the instructions from the manual. Guess not. See
below. 10.0.0.2


You did provide some of the instructions from the manual, but
apparently you mixed in some other info, so I didn't know where the
instructions left off. So you're saying the box has 10.0.0.50 and the
PC has 10.0.0.2 with a netmask of 255.0.0.0, right? Can you ping the

Yes. BTW, he lives 45 miles away from me.
box? Does the Ethernet port have a solid Link light? Does it have a
flashing Activity light? Link and Activity are LEDs that are located
right next to where the Ethernet cable plugs in.

I'll ask. BTW, the box has no LED. It's not possible to tell if it's on
or off. I don't think it's broken though.

Since the "intermediate box" has
an IP address of 10.0.0.50 it means the directly-connected Ethernet

....

Unless you say otherwise, I assume the wireless stuff is not related
to this camera installation. I assume it's an entirely different
network.

The PC has a port of a wireless Belkin card, which it uses to get to the
internet. The wireless is not related to the camera.

If the PC has a single Ethernet port and it's currently being used for
Internet access, for example, a switch would make sense because it
would allow you to continue using the Internet connection (with the IP
addressing currently configured) while allowing you to set a second IP
address for use with the camera. If you use a switch, however, the
crossover cable should be replaced with a straight cable.


Connect the Video Sentinel box to your PCs Network Interface Card (NIC).
If you are connecting the Video Sentinel box to the computer through a
hub, then standard Ethernet cables should suffice (10/100Base-T). If,
however, you want to connect directly from the
PC to the Video Sentinel box, you should use a crossover Ethernet cable.
Either cable type can be found at office supply stores.

The Video Sentinel box contains a micro-controller (RCM3200 from Rabbit
Semiconductor) with an Ethernet port that has been configured with a
fixed IP address. By default, the IP address of the Video Sentinel box
is 10.0.0.50. This address is set in the firmware of the
micro-controller and should allow the Video Sentinel box to be used
in a local network. If a different IP address is required, however, the
firmware can be changed at Sandia.

The Network Interface Card that you use to communicate with Video
Sentinel box should be set with a compatible IP address. For example, I
typically set the IP address of the NIC to 10.0.0.2 and set the Subnet
Mask to 255.0.0.0. Connect the incoming video cable from the video
camera to the BNC connector on the Video Sentinel.

Plug in the power supply AC power cord and connect the power supply DC
cable to the Video Sentinel box power supply input.

Turn on the PC.


Have you done all that?

Yes.


  #6  
Old January 29th 12, 11:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
W. eWatson[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 700
Default LAN trouble--Red X

On 1/26/2012 9:51 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
I'm trying to install camera software on a friend's XP. Actually, the
camera is outside the house, and there's an intermediate box connected
to the PC by an ethernet cable (crossover). The camera is plugged into
the box. I'm pretty confident that we have the right TCP/IP addresses.

If I got to Control Panel, I see two network icons: LAN and RealTek8139.
He doesn't really have a LAN. I'm guessing the realtek port is the the
ethernet port on the PC.

With everything in place, one fires up the camera software, and presses
the Connect button. It should turn green, but does nothing. No green
button and no picture. Comments?

Here are the instructions from the Sentinel (camera) arrangement for
setting IP addresses.
===========================
The Video Sentinel box contains a micro-controller (RCM3200 from Rabbit
Semiconductor) with an Ethernet port that has been configured with a
fixed IP address. By default, the IP address of the Video Sentinel box
is 10.0.0.50. This address is set in the firmware of the
micro-controller and should allow the Video Sentinel box to be used
in a local network. If a different IP address is required, however, the
firmware can be changed at Sandia.

The Network Interface Card that you use to communicate with Video
Sentinel box should be set with a compatible IP address. For example, I
typically set the IP address of the NIC to 10.0.0.2 and set the Subnet
Mask to 255.0.0.0.


One ethernet port. You've disappeared.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.