A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » General XP issues or comments
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

No USB support is only the first symptom of many: If no virus, whatis going on?

Old September 4th 16, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Amanda Ripanykhazova
external usenet poster

Default No USB support is only the first symptom of many: If no virus,what is going on?

OK Let me rephrase that: The bot is gone but, perhaps not surprisingly the damage it caused to the OS remains! possibly as benign problems, who knows?

It now does everything it did (DM problems persist, no NIC, no downloads, wont run SFC), but with no reporting back to the baddies because I have closed the back door. Hopefully.

I see the solution as being obvious, install mint and grub and see how often I need xp in the future.
Ads
Old September 5th 16, 08:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
pedro
external usenet poster

Default No USB support is only the first symptom of many: If no virus, what is going on?

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 09:46:33 -0700 (PDT), Amanda Ripanykhazova
wrote:

I see the solution as being obvious

with Windoze there's one hard and fast rule - apply the three R's
(retry, reboot, reinstall). You've exhausted 1 & 2 ...
Old September 6th 16, 01:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Amanda Ripanykhazova
external usenet poster

Default No USB support is only the first symptom of many: If no virus,what is going on?

with Windoze there's one hard and fast rule - apply the three R's
(retry, reboot, reinstall). You've exhausted 1 & 2 ...

It was the CHALLENGE which was doing it for me, to see if I could easily figure out what was wrong. But when the fourth or fifth R (restore, repair-install) wouldn't fix it or wouldn't run, the question became: Do you really want to have a vulnerable, ten year old OS working properly when you can get a better 'rush' from a brand new, infinitely better one whose resources aren't loaded down by a decade-worth of security fixes?

RIGHT-ON SARAH!