A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » General XP issues or comments
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Help Restoring Registry

Old July 10th 04, 01:41 AM
No_Name
external usenet poster

Default Help Restoring Registry

Hello:

I was editing my registry (extensive deletions of McAfee files) per instructions from McAfee. Before I started I exported an "All" Range back-up and saved on my desktop.

I decided to abort the editing and tried to restore the registry from the back-up file. I get the error message:

Cannot import C/.. (path to file stated). Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

Anything I can do?
Ads
Old July 10th 04, 02:43 AM
t.cruise
external usenet poster

Start button/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore

When System Restore opens, select the option to: Restore my computer to an earlier time.
System Restore automatically creates Restore Points, and names them System Checkpoint,
approximately every 24 hours depending upon certain factors. So even if you didn't
manually create Restore Points, System Checkpoints should be there. After selecting:
Restore my computer to an earlier time, click the NEXT button at the bottom right of the
window. The next window is divided into two panes, on the left is the calendar, and on
the right the Restore Points for the date selected on the calendar. The dates in bold
font are the ones with Restore Points. Click on the date that you edited the Registry,
and see if there was a System Checkpoint created at an earlier time than when you did the
Registry edit. If there is, click on it to highlight it in the right pane, and then click
the NEXT button, and finish the System Restore wizard. (A Restore Point will restore the
Registry as it was at that time, and not mess with any of your data files etc.) If you
can't remember the time of day that you edited the Registry, use a Restore Point from the
day before, or as close to that date as possible. The one negative thing about System
Restore is that if you go back too far, and you installed programs/patches/updates between
then and now, they will have to be reinstalled, because the old Registry that's being
restored won't have the Keys and Strings for them.

If you can't boot your system into Normal Mode because of damage to your Registry: Try
booting into Safe Mode: Press the F8 key between powering on, but before the Windows XP
logo. Press that key a few times. If you see the Windows XP logo, then you've gone too
far and have to try again. When the menu comes up, press the corresponding number key
for: Safe Mode. Safe Mode will start to load slowly, with file names on your screen. Be
patient. Just before the Safe Mode desktop loads, you'll be asked if you want to load the
desktop, or go directly to System Restore. Click the No button, and System Restore will
open. Then you can restore your Registry using the same method described above. It's
also good to know that there's an option to undo the last System Restore, in case you
select Restore Point from a date that had problems.

It's also a good idea to open System Restore and create a Restore Point before editing the
Registry, installing new software or drivers, making system configuration changes, etc.
That way, if there's a problem, even a bad one where you can't even boot into Normal Mode,
you can boot into Safe Mode, and use the Restore Point you manually created to get your
system up and running quickly.

So, although it's called System Restore, the MAIN function, at least for me, is to backup
and restore the Registry.
--

T.C.

Remove [NoSpam] to reply

"paton (removeme) @cablespeed.com" . com
wrote in message ...
Hello:

I was editing my registry (extensive deletions of McAfee files) per instructions from

McAfee. Before I started I exported an "All" Range back-up and saved on my desktop.

I decided to abort the editing and tried to restore the registry from the back-up file.

I get the error message:

Cannot import C/.. (path to file stated). Not all data was successfully written to the

registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

Anything I can do?

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.717 / Virus Database: 473 - Release Date: 7/8/2004

Old July 10th 04, 02:43 AM
No_Name
external usenet poster

T.Cruse:

Thank you very much for your help. A few questions.
I have not shut down and rebooted since I aborted the registry editing and tried to install the registry back up. Which would you suggest I do first?

1. Re-boot in normal and see what happens
2. Re-boot in safe mode and try to install the back up registry file
3. Go straight from here to system restore

"t.cruise" wrote:

When System Restore opens, select the option to: Restore my computer to an earlier time.
System Restore automatically creates Restore Points, and names them System Checkpoint,
approximately every 24 hours depending upon certain factors. So even if you didn't
manually create Restore Points, System Checkpoints should be there. After selecting:
Restore my computer to an earlier time, click the NEXT button at the bottom right of the
window. The next window is divided into two panes, on the left is the calendar, and on
the right the Restore Points for the date selected on the calendar. The dates in bold
font are the ones with Restore Points. Click on the date that you edited the Registry,
and see if there was a System Checkpoint created at an earlier time than when you did the
Registry edit. If there is, click on it to highlight it in the right pane, and then click
the NEXT button, and finish the System Restore wizard. (A Restore Point will restore the
Registry as it was at that time, and not mess with any of your data files etc.) If you
can't remember the time of day that you edited the Registry, use a Restore Point from the
day before, or as close to that date as possible. The one negative thing about System
Restore is that if you go back too far, and you installed programs/patches/updates between
then and now, they will have to be reinstalled, because the old Registry that's being

If you can't boot your system into Normal Mode because of damage to your Registry: Try
booting into Safe Mode: Press the F8 key between powering on, but before the Windows XP
logo. Press that key a few times. If you see the Windows XP logo, then you've gone too
far and have to try again. When the menu comes up, press the corresponding number key
for: Safe Mode. Safe Mode will start to load slowly, with file names on your screen. Be
patient. Just before the Safe Mode desktop loads, you'll be asked if you want to load the
desktop, or go directly to System Restore. Click the No button, and System Restore will
open. Then you can restore your Registry using the same method described above. It's
also good to know that there's an option to undo the last System Restore, in case you

It's also a good idea to open System Restore and create a Restore Point before editing the
Registry, installing new software or drivers, making system configuration changes, etc.
That way, if there's a problem, even a bad one where you can't even boot into Normal Mode,
you can boot into Safe Mode, and use the Restore Point you manually created to get your

So, although it's called System Restore, the MAIN function, at least for me, is to backup
--

T.C.

Remove [NoSpam] to reply

wrote in message ...
Hello:

I was editing my registry (extensive deletions of McAfee files) per instructions from

McAfee. Before I started I exported an "All" Range back-up and saved on my desktop.

I decided to abort the editing and tried to restore the registry from the back-up file.

I get the error message:

Cannot import C/.. (path to file stated). Not all data was successfully written to the

Anything I can do?

---

Old July 10th 04, 02:44 AM
No_Name
external usenet poster

Thanks for your help t.cruise. I have not shutdown and re-booted since I aborted the reg. editing and tryed to install the reg, back-up. Which would you recommend I do first?

Reboot in normal and see what happens
Re-boot in safe mode and try to install reg. backup
Go directly from here to system restore

"t.cruise" wrote:

--

T.C.

Remove [NoSpam] to reply

wrote in message ...
Hello:

I get the error message:

Anything I can do?

---

Old July 10th 04, 04:43 AM
t.cruise
external usenet poster

Go directly to System Restore. Why take a chance that you won't be able to reboot because
of a damaged Registry.
--

T.C.

Remove [NoSpam] to reply

wrote in message ...
T.Cruse:

I have not shut down and rebooted since I aborted the registry editing and tried to

install the registry back up. Which would you suggest I do first?

"t.cruise" wrote:

When System Restore opens, select the option to: Restore my computer to an earlier

time.
Restore my computer to an earlier time, click the NEXT button at the bottom right of

the
window. The next window is divided into two panes, on the left is the calendar, and

on
font are the ones with Restore Points. Click on the date that you edited the

Registry,
and see if there was a System Checkpoint created at an earlier time than when you did

the
Registry edit. If there is, click on it to highlight it in the right pane, and then

click
the NEXT button, and finish the System Restore wizard. (A Restore Point will restore

the
Registry as it was at that time, and not mess with any of your data files etc.) If

you
can't remember the time of day that you edited the Registry, use a Restore Point from

the
Restore is that if you go back too far, and you installed programs/patches/updates

between

If you can't boot your system into Normal Mode because of damage to your Registry:

Try
booting into Safe Mode: Press the F8 key between powering on, but before the Windows

XP
logo. Press that key a few times. If you see the Windows XP logo, then you've gone

too
far and have to try again. When the menu comes up, press the corresponding number

key
for: Safe Mode. Safe Mode will start to load slowly, with file names on your screen.

Be
patient. Just before the Safe Mode desktop loads, you'll be asked if you want to load

the
desktop, or go directly to System Restore. Click the No button, and System Restore

will

It's also a good idea to open System Restore and create a Restore Point before editing

the
Registry, installing new software or drivers, making system configuration changes,

etc.
That way, if there's a problem, even a bad one where you can't even boot into Normal

Mode,
you can boot into Safe Mode, and use the Restore Point you manually created to get

your

So, although it's called System Restore, the MAIN function, at least for me, is to

backup
--

T.C.

Remove [NoSpam] to reply

"paton (removeme) @cablespeed.com"

. com
wrote in message ...
Hello:

I was editing my registry (extensive deletions of McAfee files) per instructions

from

I decided to abort the editing and tried to restore the registry from the back-up

file.
I get the error message:

Cannot import C/.. (path to file stated). Not all data was successfully written to

the

Anything I can do?

---

---

Old July 10th 04, 07:42 AM
Edward W. Thompson
external usenet poster

How many more times do you have to be told to use System Restore?

. com wrote in message
Thanks for your help t.cruise. I have not shutdown and re-booted since I

aborted the reg. editing and tryed to install the reg, back-up. Which would
you recommend I do first?

Reboot in normal and see what happens
Re-boot in safe mode and try to install reg. backup
Go directly from here to system restore

"t.cruise" wrote:

When System Restore opens, select the option to: Restore my computer to

an earlier time.
System Restore automatically creates Restore Points, and names them

System Checkpoint,
approximately every 24 hours depending upon certain factors. So even if

you didn't
manually create Restore Points, System Checkpoints should be there.

After selecting:
Restore my computer to an earlier time, click the NEXT button at the

bottom right of the
window. The next window is divided into two panes, on the left is the

calendar, and on
the right the Restore Points for the date selected on the calendar. The

dates in bold
font are the ones with Restore Points. Click on the date that you

edited the Registry,
and see if there was a System Checkpoint created at an earlier time

than when you did the
Registry edit. If there is, click on it to highlight it in the right

pane, and then click
the NEXT button, and finish the System Restore wizard. (A Restore Point

will restore the
Registry as it was at that time, and not mess with any of your data

files etc.) If you
can't remember the time of day that you edited the Registry, use a

Restore Point from the
day before, or as close to that date as possible. The one negative

thing about System
Restore is that if you go back too far, and you installed

programs/patches/updates between
then and now, they will have to be reinstalled, because the old Registry

that's being

If you can't boot your system into Normal Mode because of damage to your

Registry: Try
booting into Safe Mode: Press the F8 key between powering on, but

before the Windows XP
logo. Press that key a few times. If you see the Windows XP logo, then

you've gone too
far and have to try again. When the menu comes up, press the

corresponding number key
for: Safe Mode. Safe Mode will start to load slowly, with file names on

your screen. Be
patient. Just before the Safe Mode desktop loads, you'll be asked if

you want to load the
desktop, or go directly to System Restore. Click the No button, and

System Restore will
open. Then you can restore your Registry using the same method

described above. It's
also good to know that there's an option to undo the last System

Restore, in case you

It's also a good idea to open System Restore and create a Restore Point

before editing the
Registry, installing new software or drivers, making system

configuration changes, etc.
That way, if there's a problem, even a bad one where you can't even boot

into Normal Mode,
you can boot into Safe Mode, and use the Restore Point you manually

created to get your

So, although it's called System Restore, the MAIN function, at least for

me, is to backup
--

T.C.

Remove [NoSpam] to reply

. com
wrote in message

Hello:

I was editing my registry (extensive deletions of McAfee files) per

instructions from
McAfee. Before I started I exported an "All" Range back-up and saved on

my desktop.

I decided to abort the editing and tried to restore the registry from

the back-up file.
I get the error message:

Cannot import C/.. (path to file stated). Not all data was

successfully written to the

Anything I can do?

---

Old July 10th 04, 07:58 PM
Alex Nichol
external usenet poster

paton wrote:

I was editing my registry (extensive deletions of McAfee files) per instructions from McAfee. Before I started I exported an "All" Range back-up and saved on my desktop.

I decided to abort the editing and tried to restore the registry from the back-up file. I get the error message:

Cannot import C/.. (path to file stated). Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

That method of backing up a registry is a fundamentally bad one. But
the registry is backed up daily as part of the days Restore Point. Go
to
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore
and Restore to an earlier time, choosing a point made before you
started on this operation.

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
Bournemouth, U.K. (remove the D8 bit)
Old July 16th 04, 07:20 PM
No_Name
external usenet poster

T.Cruse:

I have not shut down and rebooted since I aborted the registry editing and tried to install the registry back up. Which would you suggest I do first?

"t.cruise" wrote:

--

T.C.

Remove [NoSpam] to reply

wrote in message ...
Hello:

I get the error message:

Anything I can do?

---

Old July 16th 04, 07:50 PM
No_Name
external usenet poster

T.Cruse:

"t.cruise" wrote:

--

T.C.

Remove [NoSpam] to reply

wrote in message ...
Hello:

I get the error message:

Anything I can do?

---

Old July 16th 04, 10:54 PM
Alex Nichol
external usenet poster

paton wrote:

That method of backing up a registry is a fundamentally bad one. But
the registry is backed up daily as part of the days Restore Point. Go
to
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore
and Restore to an earlier time, choosing a point made before you
started on this operation.

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
Bournemouth, U.K. (remove the D8 bit)