A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » The Basics
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ask Windows XP Expert Walter Clayton About Spyware

Old August 1st 08, 05:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
BELFHIPPY
external usenet poster

Default Ask Windows XP Expert Walter Clayton About Spyware

"Chris Norred [MSFT]" wrote:

Hello and welcome to our first Ask-the-Experts discussion, moderated by the Windows XP Expert Zone Community. This is a new trial effort and our goal is to make it easy for you to ask questions and find answers on a specific topic from a recognized expert in the online community. We’ll continue this discussion in the newsgroups for one week and our volunteer expert will select one or two questions each day and respond. Other experts and users online may also chime in with advice. At the end of the week, we hope to have a single thread filled with good information that can be preserved for the benefit of other users in the future.

This week, our expert host is volunteer MVP Walter Clayton who will be discussing the topic of spyware and adware and his experience helping users in the newsgroups deal with spyware issues. Walter is an IT professional from Frankfort, Kentucky. He is a self-trained computing pro with 20 years of experience, and he has been helping people in the online community for many years. Walter is a recipient of the Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) award for his volunteer efforts helping Windows users over the past five years.
A quote from Mr. Clayton:
“I enjoy working the newsgroups because it forces me to think and learn. Everyday I get a slightly different perspective on something or see a new situation or problem. There is also the challenge of keeping communication skills sharp. Determining the answer to a problem, and communicating it in the newsgroups can present its own set of challenges, especially at times when the wrong answer can leave the user in a no-boot situation.”

Our Ask the Experts discussion is different from the live chats hosted on the Windows XP Expert Zone Community site (http://communities2.microsoft.com/ho...teid=34000077).

In these discussions, you may not get an immediate answer. The hosts will check-in at a time convenient for them and answer questions. You can post a question any time. Then you may want to add the discussion to your Favorites list in Internet Explorer (Click Favorites, and then click Add to Favorites). You should check back later in the day, or the next day, to see if your question has been answered. Click the Refresh button to see if any new posts were added while you have been reading. If you’re more comfortable using Outlook Express or another newsreader, please do.

To post a question or reply in this discussion, using the Web-based newsgroup reader:
1. Click Reply.
2. If prompted, sign in with your .NET Passport.
3. Edit the subject line if you like.
4. In the Reply form, type your message or question in the Message box.
5. Review the text you typed in the Body box to make sure it says what you want; you cannot revise your message after you click Post.
6. To receive e-mail notification when someone posts to this thread, select the Notify me of replies check box.
7. Click Send.

This is a new trial effort and your feedback and assistance are appreciated. We’ll keep links to these discussions in the Windows XP Expert Zone Community Columns Archive
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e.../archive.mspx).
Truly
Chris Norred
Editor
Windows XP Expert Zone Community

Ads
Old April 3rd 09, 01:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
mike
external usenet poster

When I tried to download Explorer 8 it quit, back out and left me unable to
use Explorer 7. Explorer 7 is still on the computer. I can download virus
scan updates and Windows updates automatically, but I cannot get the cursor
to stay on the Internet Connections icon, nor log on to Explorer.
--
biker

Hello and welcome to our first Ask-the-Experts discussion, moderated by the Windows XP Expert Zone Community. This is a new trial effort and our goal is to make it easy for you to ask questions and find answers on a specific topic from a recognized expert in the online community. We’ll continue this discussion in the newsgroups for one week and our volunteer expert will select one or two questions each day and respond. Other experts and users online may also chime in with advice. At the end of the week, we hope to have a single thread filled with good information that can be preserved for the benefit of other users in the future.

This week, our expert host is volunteer MVP Walter Clayton who will be discussing the topic of spyware and adware and his experience helping users in the newsgroups deal with spyware issues. Walter is an IT professional from Frankfort, Kentucky. He is a self-trained computing pro with 20 years of experience, and he has been helping people in the online community for many years. Walter is a recipient of the Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) award for his volunteer efforts helping Windows users over the past five years.
“I enjoy working the newsgroups because it forces me to think and learn. Everyday I get a slightly different perspective on something or see a new situation or problem. There is also the challenge of keeping communication skills sharp. Determining the answer to a problem, and communicating it in the newsgroups can present its own set of challenges, especially at times when the wrong answer can leave the user in a no-boot situation.”

Our Ask the Experts discussion is different from the live chats hosted on the Windows XP Expert Zone Community site (http://communities2.microsoft.com/ho...teid=34000077).

In these discussions, you may not get an immediate answer. The hosts will check-in at a time convenient for them and answer questions. You can post a question any time. Then you may want to add the discussion to your Favorites list in Internet Explorer (Click Favorites, and then click Add to Favorites). You should check back later in the day, or the next day, to see if your question has been answered. Click the Refresh button to see if any new posts were added while you have been reading. If you’re more comfortable using Outlook Express or another newsreader, please do.

To post a question or reply in this discussion, using the Web-based newsgroup reader:
1. Click Reply.
5. Review the text you typed in the Body box to make sure it says what you want; you cannot revise your message after you click Post.
6. To receive e-mail notification when someone posts to this thread, select the Notify me of replies check box.
7. Click Send.

This is a new trial effort and your feedback and assistance are appreciated. We’ll keep links to these discussions in the Windows XP Expert Zone Community Columns Archive
Truly
Chris Norred
Editor

Old April 3rd 09, 01:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
mike
external usenet poster

When I tried to download Explorer 8 it quit, back out and left me unable to
use Explorer 7. Explorer 7 is still on the computer. I can download virus
scan updates and Windows updates automatically, but I cannot get the cursor
to stay on the Internet Connections icon, nor log on to Explorer.
--
biker

1. Click Reply.
7. Click Send.

Truly
Chris Norred
Editor

Old July 31st 09, 03:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
Duce
external usenet poster

my mouse will not move
--
rgduce

1. Click Reply.
7. Click Send.

Truly
Chris Norred
Editor

Old July 31st 09, 03:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
Duce
external usenet poster

my mouse will not move
--
rgduce

1. Click Reply.
7. Click Send.

Truly
Chris Norred
Editor