A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » New Users to Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

how do I delete my harddrive

Old August 27th 04, 04:55 PM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Aug 2004
Smile how do I delete my harddrive

I would like to know how to completely delete or wipe my hard drive. I use windows xp as my operating system.I must warn any kind person who replies to this message that I am completely computer illiterate so that it would be greatly appreciated if replies were jargon free and step by step. Also is it possible to erase the hard drive so its like new again And never been used by simply inserting my recovery cd-rom containing windows xp operating system and rebooting,if thats the correct computer language.
Ads
Old November 22nd 05, 10:54 PM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Nov 2005
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathan welsh
I would like to know how to completely delete or wipe my hard drive. I use windows xp as my operating system.I must warn any kind person who replies to this message that I am completely computer illiterate so that it would be greatly appreciated if replies were jargon free and step by step. Also is it possible to erase the hard drive so its like new again And never been used by simply inserting my recovery cd-rom containing windows xp operating system and rebooting,if thats the correct computer language.
Hi

Its no big deal really.....you ready

1. put in your Xp installation CD..(making sure you have a 25 digit serial number)

2. restart your computer (jargon reboot the system, couldnt help it)

3. It will ask you to boot from the CD.....by pressing any key

4. Follow the instructions on screen, for example i agree, will say press f8 key.

Now alls you want to do is when asked, leave the excisting drive intact but to format it and to reinstall another OS (Xp) basically thats all, some questions will be like press l to format....but as long as you read it...no problemo....im an idiot and i did it..

easier solution:

go to www.computeractive.com and print out the instructions......laughs out loud.

sorry
Old November 22nd 05, 10:55 PM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Nov 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhawk
Hi

Its no big deal really.....you ready

1. put in your Xp installation CD..(making sure you have a 25 digit serial number)

2. restart your computer (jargon reboot the system, couldnt help it)

3. It will ask you to boot from the CD.....by pressing any key

4. Follow the instructions on screen, for example i agree, will say press f8 key.

Now alls you want to do is when asked, leave the excisting drive intact but to format it and to reinstall another OS (Xp) basically thats all, some questions will be like press l to format....but as long as you read it...no problemo....im an idiot and i did it..

easier solution:

go to www.computeractive.com and print out the instructions......laughs out loud.

sorry
p.s. It's called, formatting the hard drive