A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » New Users to Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Desktop problems after WinXP Reinstallation

Old December 7th 07, 04:41 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Jul 2005
Default Desktop problems after WinXP Reinstallation

Thanks to my wonderful Dell technician, in diagnosing a bad memory card, he managed to corrupt my Win XP so badly that after 4 hours on the phone the only thing he could offer was to backup everything that I could on my hard drive, reinstall WIN XP and start over. He had erased my start icon and I could not get to any programs unless I entered through the directory. I called back and got another technician who simply stated that all I had to do was to reinstall my original WINXP over the old one and everything would be all right. It worked up to a point. I now have at least two BIG problems that I cannot figure out what to do about. 1) After I download or copy any file to my desktop, when I move or copy it somewhere else, it is corrupted and it will not work and it will not even let me access or even delete that file . When I go to access the file, I get a message that says the file is in use or is copy protected. I have done this on numerous files and not one has worked after it is moved, copied, etc. from the desktop 2) No matter what I do no screen saver will work! I have no idea what the problem is because everything else pretty much works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ads