A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » The Basics
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Dial-up dilemmas - icon but no access

Old November 3rd 09, 05:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
Dorothy Koval
external usenet poster

Default packet scheduler

Hello again -
I tried to follow Andrew's suggestion about unchecking the Packet scheduler, but didn't see a "packet scheduler" option directly under Properties. Under Properties Networking, I did find that "QoS Packet Scheduler" was checked (as were "Internet Protocol" and "Client for MS Network"), but I was not allowed to uncheck it. Also, I didn't see a repair option. Was I in the right place?
I disconnected the modem for a while, and also disabled and re-enabled it in Device Manager.
When I went back online the connection started at 4.5 kbps and eventually went to 9.8, but I was still unable to open websites or download mail. Surprisingly, when I was turning off the computer I saw that it had succeeded in downloading an update, which made me think that getting updates might be using a lot of its available energy, so I disabled Windows automatic updates and also InstallShield updates and tried again, but it didn't seem to do any good. Was that a reasonable line of action or just a detour?

Dorothy Koval wrote:

response to ideas & more details
02-Nov-09

Thanks all for your suggestions - I really appreciate being able to discuss this, as mostly each branch of the technology says it's the fault of the other.

Unfortunately, we do not have a cell phone signal at our house, and are unlikely to get one soon since the phone company that took over this part of VT a year or so ago just went into bankruptcy. There is cell connection not far away, but the mountains apparently make it complicated. With my laptop I can go down to the Library in the next town and download large files, updates &c. but Dominic is stuck.

There is a lot of static on our phone lines, and moreso on his, which I think compounds the problem. He is a painter/sculptor and the computer is in his studio about 100' from the house, which is connected to the main house by an outdoor telephone wire we strung through the upper windows about 15 years ago...

Andrew, I will definitely try your suggestions, and let you know if they help.

I'm familiar with the "disconnect after downloading" box, having made that mistake myself, but it's not checked and we can't download the mail to begin with.

I tried both IE and Firefox, and for mail both Outlook Express and Thunderbird. The connection seems to be made, but just not strong enough to do anything.

Sometimes it does seem that relocate would be the only solution, but no. No technology is worth that! Rewire? Find out how much patience we have? Hope the static will go away when the weather changes or they do something else to the lines?? It does seem to go through bad patches and better ones, but we're never sure whether it's them or us.

Previous Posts In This Thread:

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .NET Tips and Tricks # 9
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-cool-net.aspx
Ads
Old November 3rd 09, 05:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
Dorothy Koval
external usenet poster

Default packet scheduler

Hello again -
I tried to follow Andrew's suggestion about unchecking the Packet scheduler, but didn't see a "packet scheduler" option directly under Properties. Under Properties Networking, I did find that "QoS Packet Scheduler" was checked (as were "Internet Protocol" and "Client for MS Network"), but I was not allowed to uncheck it. Also, I didn't see a repair option. Was I in the right place?
I disconnected the modem for a while, and also disabled and re-enabled it in Device Manager.
When I went back online the connection started at 4.5 kbps and eventually went to 9.8, but I was still unable to open websites or download mail. Surprisingly, when I was turning off the computer I saw that it had succeeded in downloading an update, which made me think that getting updates might be using a lot of its available energy, so I disabled Windows automatic updates and also InstallShield updates and tried again, but it didn't seem to do any good. Was that a reasonable line of action or just a detour?

Dorothy Koval wrote:

02-Nov-09

Thanks all for your suggestions - I really appreciate being able to discuss this, as mostly each branch of the technology says it's the fault of the other.

Unfortunately, we do not have a cell phone signal at our house, and are unlikely to get one soon since the phone company that took over this part of VT a year or so ago just went into bankruptcy. There is cell connection not far away, but the mountains apparently make it complicated. With my laptop I can go down to the Library in the next town and download large files, updates &c. but Dominic is stuck.

There is a lot of static on our phone lines, and moreso on his, which I think compounds the problem. He is a painter/sculptor and the computer is in his studio about 100' from the house, which is connected to the main house by an outdoor telephone wire we strung through the upper windows about 15 years ago...

I'm familiar with the "disconnect after downloading" box, having made that mistake myself, but it's not checked and we can't download the mail to begin with.

I tried both IE and Firefox, and for mail both Outlook Express and Thunderbird. The connection seems to be made, but just not strong enough to do anything.

Sometimes it does seem that relocate would be the only solution, but no. No technology is worth that! Rewire? Find out how much patience we have? Hope the static will go away when the weather changes or they do something else to the lines?? It does seem to go through bad patches and better ones, but we're never sure whether it's them or us.

Old November 3rd 09, 12:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
GbH
external usenet poster

Default response to ideas & more details

Roy Smith wrote:
Dorothy Koval wrote:
Thanks all for your suggestions - I really appreciate being able to
discuss this, as mostly each branch of the technology says it's the
fault of the other.

Unfortunately, we do not have a cell phone signal at our house, and
are unlikely to get one soon since the phone company that took over
this part of VT a year or so ago just went into bankruptcy. There is
cell connection not far away, but the mountains apparently make it
complicated. With my laptop I can go down to the Library in the next
town and download large files, updates &c. but Dominic is stuck.

There is a lot of static on our phone lines, and moreso on his,
which I think compounds the problem. He is a painter/sculptor and
the computer is in his studio about 100' from the house, which is
connected to the main house by an outdoor telephone wire we strung
through the upper windows about 15 years ago...

Andrew, I will definitely try your suggestions, and let you know if
they help.

I'm familiar with the "disconnect after downloading" box, having
made that mistake myself, but it's not checked and we can't download
the mail to begin with.

I tried both IE and Firefox, and for mail both Outlook Express and
Thunderbird. The connection seems to be made, but just not strong
enough to do anything.

Sometimes it does seem that relocate would be the only solution, but
no. No technology is worth that! Rewire? Find out how much patience
we have? Hope the static will go away when the weather changes or
they do something else to the lines?? It does seem to go through bad
patches and better ones, but we're never sure whether it's them or
us.

Unknown wrote:

There is an option with dial-up to disconnect after downloading mail.
02-Nov-09

There is an option with dial-up to disconnect after downloading
mail. Check
to be sure it is not checked.

Ever think about getting the internet off of a satellite? The big
problem with that may be what's termed line of sight. If you have a
lot of trees around your home, then the satellite option may not work
either.

Many satellite systems are download only the uplink is through POTS,
which itself might not be functional in this case.

--

Geoff
ExploitEd

Wisdom and experience come with age, they say, but I do wish I could
remember the darn question

Old November 3rd 09, 12:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
GbH
external usenet poster

Default response to ideas & more details

Roy Smith wrote:
Dorothy Koval wrote:
Thanks all for your suggestions - I really appreciate being able to
discuss this, as mostly each branch of the technology says it's the
fault of the other.

Unfortunately, we do not have a cell phone signal at our house, and
are unlikely to get one soon since the phone company that took over
this part of VT a year or so ago just went into bankruptcy. There is
cell connection not far away, but the mountains apparently make it
complicated. With my laptop I can go down to the Library in the next
town and download large files, updates &c. but Dominic is stuck.

There is a lot of static on our phone lines, and moreso on his,
which I think compounds the problem. He is a painter/sculptor and
the computer is in his studio about 100' from the house, which is
connected to the main house by an outdoor telephone wire we strung
through the upper windows about 15 years ago...

Andrew, I will definitely try your suggestions, and let you know if
they help.

I'm familiar with the "disconnect after downloading" box, having
made that mistake myself, but it's not checked and we can't download
the mail to begin with.

I tried both IE and Firefox, and for mail both Outlook Express and
Thunderbird. The connection seems to be made, but just not strong
enough to do anything.

Sometimes it does seem that relocate would be the only solution, but
no. No technology is worth that! Rewire? Find out how much patience
we have? Hope the static will go away when the weather changes or
they do something else to the lines?? It does seem to go through bad
patches and better ones, but we're never sure whether it's them or
us.

Unknown wrote:

There is an option with dial-up to disconnect after downloading mail.
02-Nov-09

There is an option with dial-up to disconnect after downloading
mail. Check
to be sure it is not checked.

Ever think about getting the internet off of a satellite? The big
problem with that may be what's termed line of sight. If you have a
lot of trees around your home, then the satellite option may not work
either.

Many satellite systems are download only the uplink is through POTS,
which itself might not be functional in this case.

--

Geoff
ExploitEd

Wisdom and experience come with age, they say, but I do wish I could
remember the darn question

Old November 4th 09, 07:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
Andrew E.
external usenet poster

Default packet scheduler

The QoS Packet Scheduler is the right one,it gets disabled below the box,
as for "repair this connection",L.click on the internet icon that 1st shows
from internet connections,if thiers more than 1 icon,uninstall,or disable
it,the
icon you want should relate to youre pc hardware components..

"Dorothy Koval" wrote:

Hello again -

Dorothy Koval wrote:

02-Nov-09

Old November 4th 09, 07:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
Andrew E.
external usenet poster

Default packet scheduler

The QoS Packet Scheduler is the right one,it gets disabled below the box,
as for "repair this connection",L.click on the internet icon that 1st shows
from internet connections,if thiers more than 1 icon,uninstall,or disable
it,the
icon you want should relate to youre pc hardware components..

"Dorothy Koval" wrote:

Hello again -

Dorothy Koval wrote:

02-Nov-09