A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Networking and the Internet with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

TCP/IP and Internet Access

Old April 7th 04, 06:24 PM
Virginia
external usenet poster

Default TCP/IP and Internet Access

All,

I've seen a couple of threads on this...but still it appears there is no desisive answer aside from "wipe the box and reinstall the OS".

The problem is that I have a Windows XP Home edition that dials into a network and from there the machine is supposed to have the ability to access the Internet. That is not the case...we can dail into the company, we can ping other resources and the DNS
servers, but when we try to go to the Internet, we're not connecting. I tried doing a "ping www.yahoo.com" and that fails.

In an attempt to determine if this was a problem at the company or with the local machine, we installed AOL 8.0. We can get dialed into AOL....however we still have no Internet Access.

What I'm noticing is that when I do an "ipconfig /all", the IP Address and the Default Gateway are identical. Not sure if that's "normal" or not.

Since "Networking/Dial Up" cannot be uninstalled and reinstalled in the XP environment, so far the only advice I've been given is to rebuild the box.

I'd like to avoid that....I'm wondering if I could use the route command to "flush" anything out that might be in the routing tables on the local machine? Would this make a difference? We've already cleared IE cache and that had no effect.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Ads