A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Networking and the Internet with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Nine Complex Steps to Set the NTP Time Server. An Alternative?

Old November 25th 04, 11:45 PM
W. Watson
external usenet poster

Default Nine Complex Steps to Set the NTP Time Server. An Alternative?

I'm trying to fire up XP as an NTP time server, and I came across nine somewhat
manually complex steps in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314054#EXTERNAL. There's
fairly heavy use of registry editing and a win32tm command is used at the end. I also
came across the following, which discusses the win32tm commands.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techref/en-us/w2k3tr_times_tools.asp.

At the moment it baffles me why instead of the 9 complex steps couldn't the set of
win32tm cmds couldn't be used to completely set up Win XP as a time server. It's the
first time I've ever seen them. It seems as though MS could provide some sort of
program to do the necessary configuration in those nine steps. I would think this is
a fairly common need. Perhaps there is such a program or mechanism (other than
manually entering the nine steps)?

--
Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
(121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
(Formerly Homo habilis, erectus, heidelbergensis and now sapiens)

"I'm not going to die. It would ruin my image."
-- Jack La Lanne, 90 year old early TV health
& exercise promoter

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Ads