A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Windows 10 » Windows 10 Help Forum
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

odd cannot get to login.yahoo.com problem



 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 7th 19, 09:00 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Toast[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default odd cannot get to login.yahoo.com problem

I cannot get to login.yahoo.com on my Win 10 1809 computer (or earlier
versions of W10). This is true on IE, Edge, Firefox, Opera, and even
lynx. If I plug my XP computer into my internet connection at home, it
works fine getting to the login page.

I have to use a proxy to get to and past the login page in Win 10. Once
logged in, and at mail.yahoo.com, I can turn off the proxy and it works
fine. I can get to sports.yahoo.com, search.yahoo.com, and other
*.yahoo.com pages without a proxy.

The hosts file, with no *.yahoo.com addresses in it, or giving an IP
number that nslookup returns for login.yahoo.com, does nothing.

Changing resolv.conf does nothing. Changing to use DNS over HTTPS in
Firefox does nothing. Going to Network Connections - right click -
Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) properties and changing from
obtain DNS address automatically to typing in IP numbers of various
DNS servers does nothing.

I can go to another home/apartment and use their Wi-Fi, and my computer
doesn't work there either. If I use my computer as a Wi-Fi hot spot,
and connect my phone to the computer, I can use yahoo's email app
without any problems.

Any ideas? This has been driving me crazy for over a year with no
resolution. TIA.
Ads
  #2  
Old March 7th 19, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,832
Default odd cannot get to login.yahoo.com problem

Toast wrote:
I cannot get to login.yahoo.com on my Win 10 1809 computer (or earlier
versions of W10). This is true on IE, Edge, Firefox, Opera, and even
lynx. If I plug my XP computer into my internet connection at home, it
works fine getting to the login page.

I have to use a proxy to get to and past the login page in Win 10. Once
logged in, and at mail.yahoo.com, I can turn off the proxy and it works
fine. I can get to sports.yahoo.com, search.yahoo.com, and other
*.yahoo.com pages without a proxy.

The hosts file, with no *.yahoo.com addresses in it, or giving an IP
number that nslookup returns for login.yahoo.com, does nothing.

Changing resolv.conf does nothing. Changing to use DNS over HTTPS in
Firefox does nothing. Going to Network Connections - right click -
Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) properties and changing from
obtain DNS address automatically to typing in IP numbers of various
DNS servers does nothing.

I can go to another home/apartment and use their Wi-Fi, and my computer
doesn't work there either. If I use my computer as a Wi-Fi hot spot,
and connect my phone to the computer, I can use yahoo's email app
without any problems.

Any ideas? This has been driving me crazy for over a year with no
resolution. TIA.


Are you on Comcast ?

Is another home/apartment on Comcast ?

All I know, is "Comcast" in the word-association sense.
"Comcast" goes with "Broken DNS".

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-H...e/td-p/3135536

Google DNS is available at 8.8.8.8 if you want
to test an alternative DNS solution. You can try changing
the Windows property box or something to use it. When DNS isn't
working on Linux, I sometimes pencil in 8.8.8.8 to get the
stupid thing running again.

I don't even know what part of the network stack
is doing this, or whether it's an actual DNS table
problem at Comcast. So far, I haven't seen explanations.

But this is the first thing that comes to mind,
is to check whether you're a Comcast customer and
work from there. If you're Googling your ass off,
try entering your provider Comcast as a
search term with the other details.

Paul
  #3  
Old March 7th 19, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,832
Default odd cannot get to login.yahoo.com problem

Paul wrote:
Toast wrote:
I cannot get to login.yahoo.com on my Win 10 1809 computer (or earlier
versions of W10). This is true on IE, Edge, Firefox, Opera, and even
lynx. If I plug my XP computer into my internet connection at home,
it works fine getting to the login page.

I have to use a proxy to get to and past the login page in Win 10.
Once logged in, and at mail.yahoo.com, I can turn off the proxy and it
works fine. I can get to sports.yahoo.com, search.yahoo.com, and other
*.yahoo.com pages without a proxy.

The hosts file, with no *.yahoo.com addresses in it, or giving an IP
number that nslookup returns for login.yahoo.com, does nothing.

Changing resolv.conf does nothing. Changing to use DNS over HTTPS in
Firefox does nothing. Going to Network Connections - right click -
Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) properties and changing from
obtain DNS address automatically to typing in IP numbers of various
DNS servers does nothing.

I can go to another home/apartment and use their Wi-Fi, and my
computer doesn't work there either. If I use my computer as a Wi-Fi
hot spot, and connect my phone to the computer, I can use yahoo's
email app without any problems.

Any ideas? This has been driving me crazy for over a year with no
resolution. TIA.


Also, logins use https. And a server can demand that the
client use very specific crypto (CHACHA20). Maybe they
set their end to TLS 1.3 and CHACHA20, so that only
Chrome works.

You can test for that, via SSLLabs.

One link tests your browser. The other link, you
enter the server name, for a server evaluation.
Then, compare the two crypto suites printed out,
to see if they share a common entry or twenty.
Servers with a very short crypto suite list, will
make this relatively easy to figure out.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

Paul
  #4  
Old March 18th 19, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Toast[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default odd cannot get to login.yahoo.com problem

Thank you for the info. However, none of it works. Interestingly, I
see that after I get past the login screen for login.yahoo.com using a
proxy, I can turn the proxy off and use the rest of yahoo email without
it. Cookies are interesting things. I'll try again at some other point
in my life I guess!

On 3/7/2019 4:24 PM, Paul wrote:
Paul wrote:

One link tests your browser. The other link, you
enter the server name, for a server evaluation.
Then, compare the two crypto suites printed out,
to see if they share a common entry or twenty.
Servers with a very short crypto suite list, will
make this relatively easy to figure out.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

** Paul

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.