A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Windows 10 » Windows 10 Help Forum
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Missing Startup progs after WU



 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old March 16th 19, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,832
Default Missing Startup progs after WU

nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

!803 is all it knows about. There is no evidence of problems with
updates. It hasn't been used much for several weeks and when I started
it up to read its history it gave me a list of three updates for 1803
which it is right now downloading and going to install. There was no
mention of 1809. I'll wait to see what the future holds.
You might be surprised to find it downloading 1809,
after the other update install.

In fact after downloading and installing three updates it is now fully
uptodate at 1803 version 17134.648.


microsoft doesn't consider your hardware to be fully compatible with
1809.

at this point, you might as well wait for 19h1.


It's true that a Windows Update orchestrated Upgrade Install,
has in the past tried to "stage" drivers in advance. The
directory it used to use to assemble the components, had
a folder with anonymized names, containing drivers. You
can't just search for "NVidia" and spot your video driver
being set up for you. I only stumbled on that folder
by accident. If you look inside there, you might see
an INF or two.

But on the other hand, the Windows Insider Upgrade Installs
have no problem re-using the currently installed video driver.

And I'm not 100% convinced that hardware can stop it dead
like that. Windows 10 would not have installed at all
in the first place, if there was an egregious shortcoming
in the hardware.

It seems tablets (32GB storage, almost full), they never
seem to get their Upgrade early in the cycle. And those
always get theirs at the last minute. I have to assume
there is some sort of classification scheme going on
here, which delays the arrival for certain machine
types.

But we are in the "month of cleanup", and the machine
I thought would never get around to doing it, started
doing it without me clicking the "Check For Updates".
It can happen. It's arbitrary. It's capricious.
Humans had a hand in it. It doesn't have to be
a simple "stimulus" ("old hardware"), "response" thing.
Maybe there are one or two random number generators
(to smooth the load on the servers or similar
foolishness).

There was a log at one time, which contained a
"state variable", and that was about as close to
a hint as we were ever likely to get. I've not
heard of such a log like that, recently. That was
part of the "Free Upgrade" aggressive program
of a few years back.

Paul
Ads
  #17  
Old March 17th 19, 02:14 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 375
Default Missing Startup progs after WU

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 17:46:07 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

!803 is all it knows about. There is no evidence of problems with
updates. It hasn't been used much for several weeks and when I started
it up to read its history it gave me a list of three updates for 1803
which it is right now downloading and going to install. There was no
mention of 1809. I'll wait to see what the future holds.

You might be surprised to find it downloading 1809,
after the other update install.

In fact after downloading and installing three updates it is now fully
uptodate at 1803 version 17134.648.


microsoft doesn't consider your hardware to be fully compatible with
1809.


That was my guess. After all it is a 9 year old machine.

at this point, you might as well wait for 19h1.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #18  
Old March 17th 19, 04:45 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,832
Default Missing Startup progs after WU

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 17:46:07 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

!803 is all it knows about. There is no evidence of problems with
updates. It hasn't been used much for several weeks and when I started
it up to read its history it gave me a list of three updates for 1803
which it is right now downloading and going to install. There was no
mention of 1809. I'll wait to see what the future holds.
You might be surprised to find it downloading 1809,
after the other update install.

In fact after downloading and installing three updates it is now fully
uptodate at 1803 version 17134.648.


microsoft doesn't consider your hardware to be fully compatible with 1809.
That was my guess. After all it is a 9 year old machine.
at this point, you might as well wait for 19h1.


What kind of graphics does the machine have ?

On my AMD HD6450, I was able to get a Crimson beta driver,
when the original CCC wasn't good enough. At the time, I had
to search under a rock to find it.

There must be some fallback behavior for the WDDM version
Microsoft is using, because cards that are out of support
(after original Win10 launched) still seem to be workable.

You can do a backup, download 1809 media and try the Upgrade
that way. The ISO can be mounted in Win10 (right-click) and
running Setup.exe should kick it off. If there is a drop-dead
reason for not continuing with the setup, the advisor in there
should tell you.

Paul

  #19  
Old March 17th 19, 10:09 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 375
Default Missing Startup progs after WU

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 00:45:31 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 17:46:07 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

!803 is all it knows about. There is no evidence of problems with
updates. It hasn't been used much for several weeks and when I started
it up to read its history it gave me a list of three updates for 1803
which it is right now downloading and going to install. There was no
mention of 1809. I'll wait to see what the future holds.
You might be surprised to find it downloading 1809,
after the other update install.

In fact after downloading and installing three updates it is now fully
uptodate at 1803 version 17134.648.

microsoft doesn't consider your hardware to be fully compatible with 1809.
That was my guess. After all it is a 9 year old machine.
at this point, you might as well wait for 19h1.


What kind of graphics does the machine have ?


AMD HD 5670

On my AMD HD6450, I was able to get a Crimson beta driver,
when the original CCC wasn't good enough. At the time, I had
to search under a rock to find it.

There must be some fallback behavior for the WDDM version
Microsoft is using, because cards that are out of support
(after original Win10 launched) still seem to be workable.

You can do a backup, download 1809 media and try the Upgrade
that way. The ISO can be mounted in Win10 (right-click) and
running Setup.exe should kick it off. If there is a drop-dead
reason for not continuing with the setup, the advisor in there
should tell you.


Its an old machine and it may not be worth the effort. Probably
someone will want it to enable them to run Linux for another 9 years.
:-)

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.