A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Networking and the Internet with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ip address change?

Old May 25th 05, 09:30 PM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: May 2005
Default ip address change?

Can I change my IP address?
Old May 25th 05, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1a2
Maybe I should expand. I want to know if I can change my IP address on my computer do to a possible Hacker?
Old May 26th 05, 11:31 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Mar 2005

Quote:
Maybe I should expand. I want to know if I can change my IP address on my computer do to a possible Hacker?
How are you connecting, ADSL or DUN? If the former, are you using a modem or router? Do you run a software firewall or rely on a NAT/SPI hardware firewall?

Rik

-----------------
Milton Keynes, UK
Old May 26th 05, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik Bean
How are you connecting, ADSL or DUN? If the former, are you using a modem or router? Do you run a software firewall or rely on a NAT/SPI hardware firewall?
First, thank you for replying. I'm not sure I understand your questions, but I'll try and answer. I connect through my local phone company, no it is not dial up. I have a modem In my computer and a box from the phone company beside my computer. As for the firewall? I have Norton system works, but that is all I'm aware of.
Old May 27th 05, 08:27 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Mar 2005

Quote:
First, thank you for replying. I'm not sure I understand your questions, but I'll try and answer. I connect through my local phone company, no it is not dial up. I have a modem In my computer and a box from the phone company beside my computer. As for the firewall? I have Norton system works, but that is all I'm aware of.
Are you in the States? If so, I'm beginning to guess here. If you're not dialling, then I would imagine you're on xDSL and the box is a router. If so, you should have instructions on how to access it, usually it's by going to a specific IP via your browser, eg http://192.168.0.1. Can you do that?

If you are behind a NAT firewall, your router should tell you, iow, there should be a setting to turn it on/off. If that's the case, then your IP should not be vulnerable, as it should never be shown to the outside world.

Go he

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/prefcan.asp

and see what it says.

Let me know how that lot goes, and I'll try to work out where to go from there.

Rik

-----------------
Milton Keynes, UK
Old May 27th 05, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik Bean
Are you in the States? If so, I'm beginning to guess here. If you're not dialling, then I would imagine you're on xDSL and the box is a router. If so, you should have instructions on how to access it, usually it's by going to a specific IP via your browser, eg http://192.168.0.1. Can you do that?

If you are behind a NAT firewall, your router should tell you, iow, there should be a setting to turn it on/off. If that's the case, then your IP should not be vulnerable, as it should never be shown to the outside world.

Go he

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/prefcan.asp

and see what it says.

Let me know how that lot goes, and I'll try to work out where to go from there.
Yes I am from the states. I think you are right. I think it is DSL and the box is a router. I don't know how to do what you mentioned next, but I have figured out that I have an internal and an external IP address. Then I went to the site you suggested and it confirmed it. It says it is showing my internal IP address. It is not supposed to is it? What can i do about that? I want to know how to not have anyone trace me or hack me. Can you help me further?
Old October 6th 14, 10:03 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1a2 View Post
Ya sure it is possible to change both your static or dynamic network ip address of your system ..Here i list out the steps to be followed to change the ip address .They are
1.Go to start---run---type cmd
2.Type ipconfig /release
3.Type ipconfig /renew
This will automatically change your ip address if it is dynamic ip .Else if you have static ip then you must have to contact your ISP to change it.After changing your ip visit Ip-Details.com to find your present network ip address ...