A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Networking and the Internet with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

File sharing XP Home - XP home

Old September 19th 05, 05:33 PM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Sep 2005
Question File sharing XP Home - XP home

Hi, im hoping someone can help. I have two pc's networked on a linksys WRT54G one wired desktop, the other wireless desktop. Both machines are running XP home. I have setup the file and printer sharing on both machines using the network setup wizard. All machines can ping each other. The problem i am having is i am able to locate the shared folder on the wired PC from the wireless but unable to access the shared folders on the wireless PC from the wired. The Computer is listed in the view workgroup computers but when attempting to access it an error message is not accessible. You might not hae permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator blah blah. When attempting a right click to view properties it states this computer is not accepting incoming requests. Windows firewall has been disabled on both PC's. Please can someone advise. Thanks
Ads
Old September 20th 05, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig
Hi, im hoping someone can help. I have two pc's networked on a linksys WRT54G one wired desktop, the other wireless desktop. Both machines are running XP home. I have setup the file and printer sharing on both machines using the network setup wizard. All machines can ping each other. The problem i am having is i am able to locate the shared folder on the wired PC from the wireless but unable to access the shared folders on the wireless PC from the wired. The Computer is listed in the view workgroup computers but when attempting to access it an error message is not accessible. You might not hae permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator blah blah. When attempting a right click to view properties it states this computer is not accepting incoming requests. Windows firewall has been disabled on both PC's. Please can someone advise. Thanks
Anyone have any ideas?? A strange this i also noticed is although i am running xp home edition when i see my computer icon under view workgroup computers, after a right click, properties it says windows professional. Could this be anything to do with it??
Old September 30th 05, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig
Anyone have any ideas?? A strange this i also noticed is although i am running xp home edition when i see my computer icon under view workgroup computers, after a right click, properties it says windows professional. Could this be anything to do with it??
Hey
Make sure that on both computer, the Guest user is set to
Active.
I had the same problem and this was the answer!
Good Luck