A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Windows Service Pack 2
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fearful of SP2



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 3rd 04, 02:33 PM
Ann B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

I have automatic updates turned on but not automatic install. So SP2
downloaded but is not installed yet, even though it keeps wanting to
be installed - I just x out.

Have been advised not to install it because of al the problems, so I
don't want it on my system yet. Question - I don't know how to get
rid of it so it doesn't keep asking to be installed.

Any suggestions for getting the unistalled download off my computer
without harming other Windows components?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.
Ads
  #2  
Old October 3rd 04, 04:10 PM
Amy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2


-----Original Message-----
I have automatic updates turned on but not automatic

install. So SP2
downloaded but is not installed yet, even though it

keeps wanting to
be installed - I just x out.

Have been advised not to install it because of al the

problems, so I
don't want it on my system yet. Question - I don't know

how to get
rid of it so it doesn't keep asking to be installed.

Any suggestions for getting the unistalled download off

my computer
without harming other Windows components?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.
.
Hi. I had a bad experience with sp2. Did have to

unistall through add/remove programs but didn't take care
of it all. If you did not run the sp2 and just loaded it
on desktop, delete it. And/or go to
Start,Settings,control panel,System,Automatic Updates,
and select the option to "download updates but let me
decide what to install" (that isn't exactly what it
says) when it comes up again click not to be reminded of
this update if it wants you to install SP again.
  #3  
Old October 3rd 04, 04:16 PM
Wesley Vogel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

SP2 what to remove to not install
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...cleid=11&ln=en

Delete: DataStore & Download

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
-----

Temporarily Disabling Delivery of Windows XP Service Pack 2 Through Windows
Update and Automatic Updates
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../sp2aumng.mspx

Toolkit to Temporarily Block Delivery of Windows XP SP2 to a PC Through
Automatic Updates and Windows
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

FAQ Temporarily Blocking Windows XP SP2 delivery through Windows Update and
Automatic Updates
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...2aumngfaq.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In ,
Ann B. hunted and pecked:
I have automatic updates turned on but not automatic install. So SP2
downloaded but is not installed yet, even though it keeps wanting to
be installed - I just x out.

Have been advised not to install it because of al the problems, so I
don't want it on my system yet. Question - I don't know how to get
rid of it so it doesn't keep asking to be installed.

Any suggestions for getting the unistalled download off my computer
without harming other Windows components?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.


  #4  
Old October 3rd 04, 05:05 PM
Paul Smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

"Ann B." wrote in message
...

Any suggestions for getting the unistalled download off my computer
without harming other Windows components?

Thanks for any suggestions.



Service Pack 2 has now probably been installed millions of computers (if not
tens of millions), most (99%) without problem.

Unless you're aware of a specific problem with software you use you should
install it.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.

*Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*


  #5  
Old October 3rd 04, 05:15 PM
Testy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

Stop making things up! What is your reliable source for your 99% lie.

Testy

"Paul Smith" wrote in message
...
"Ann B." wrote in message
...

Any suggestions for getting the unistalled download off my computer
without harming other Windows components?

Thanks for any suggestions.



Service Pack 2 has now probably been installed millions of computers (if
not tens of millions), most (99%) without problem.

Unless you're aware of a specific problem with software you use you should
install it.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.

*Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*




---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.772 / Virus Database: 519 - Release Date: 10/1/2004


  #6  
Old October 3rd 04, 05:36 PM
Ann B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:05:47 +0100, "Paul Smith"
wrote:

"Ann B." wrote in message
.. .

Any suggestions for getting the unistalled download off my computer
without harming other Windows components?

Thanks for any suggestions.



Service Pack 2 has now probably been installed millions of computers (if not
tens of millions), most (99%) without problem.

Unless you're aware of a specific problem with software you use you should
install it.


I, along with all other members of the NYPC club, a prestigious
computer user group were advised by the club prisident not to install
SP2 until it is fleshed out as there are too many issues with it.
I've been a member of the club for 15 years and never saw such advice
given before, so I pay attention to it.

Since MS doesn't give live tech support for problems encountered when
you load their service packs, I am afraid to risk it. If my computer
starts limping, how am I supposed to get help to fix it?
Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.
  #7  
Old October 3rd 04, 05:45 PM
Paul Smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

"Testy" wrote in message
...
Stop making things up! What is your reliable source for your 99% lie.


My source is my own experience.

I provided recommendations and assisted in upgrading 372 machines on a
network with SP2 when Microsoft released the network install, not one
problem.

I've personally installed it on around 10 machines, then there's about 30 or
so more of my friend's machines again no issues.

So that's actually 100% so I am sorry for my mistake.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.

*Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*


  #8  
Old October 3rd 04, 05:53 PM
Paul Smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

"Ann B." wrote in message
...

I, along with all other members of the NYPC club, a prestigious
computer user group were advised by the club prisident not to install
SP2 until it is fleshed out as there are too many issues with it.
I've been a member of the club for 15 years and never saw such advice
given before, so I pay attention to it.


Did he actually mention what the issues were with it? I've been running
SP2, way back when it was in beta for months now, it's the most widely
tested Microsoft product ever, all of the stuff gone on that I'm aware of is
the usual anti-Microsoft scare-mongering by the media.

The only "issues" I've come across is the firewall asking for permission for
say a game the first time you run it since SP2 to use a network, which is a
pain if the game is already running as you have to alt-tab out. Which is
perfectly work around-able and isn't really an issue at all as all firewalls
do this.

Since MS doesn't give live tech support for problems encountered when
you load their service packs, I am afraid to risk it. If my computer
starts limping, how am I supposed to get help to fix it?


If you've got a proper retail boxed Microsoft product then live phone and
e-mail support is included with that. If you use OEM then it's down to the
vender.

Loads of people, myself including hang out night and day on these groups and
do nothing but provide support, feel free to use us if you've got any
issues.

SP2 is a "critical" update - the risks of not running it are far greater
then those of something going wrong when installing it.

This might be an interesting read
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.

*Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*


  #9  
Old October 3rd 04, 06:04 PM
Ken Blake
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

In ,
Ann B. typed:

I, along with all other members of the NYPC club, a prestigious
computer user group were advised by the club prisident not to
install
SP2 until it is fleshed out as there are too many issues with
it.
I've been a member of the club for 15 years and never saw such
advice
given before, so I pay attention to it.



The President of NYPC is an individual who, like other
individuals, has his own opinions. Undoubtedly he's human like
the rest of us, so some of his opinions are right and some of
them are wrong. Opinions should be evaluated on the basis of
their merit, not on who holds the opinions.

Until three months when my term expired, I too was President of
one of the larger PC User Groups in the USA. My advice is the
opposite of his: most people *should* install SP2.

But much more important than who is President of what, or who
makes any recommendation, is what's behind the recommendation.
I've personally installed SP2 on many machines and I've spoken
with many others who have done the same, or installed it on their
own machines. I've never seen a problem with it, and with very
rare exceptions, none of the others has either.

Whenever a new version of *anything* comes out, you always read
about people having problems." But realize two things:

1. If you're reading about problems *in the newsgroup*, this is
where people come with their problems, not with their successes.
You get a very distorted view of what's going on in the real
world here; as someone once said, "hang around a transmission
shop and you will think that all cars have transmission
problems."

2. Most problems, by far, that people report--whether or not they
are SP2-related--have nothing to do with defects in the software.
They result from people's ignorance, from bad or inadequate
hardware, from old drivers, from viruses, from spyware, and so
on. And except for very rare situations, they always get a fix
for their problems, and in most cases, that fix is a very simple
one to implement.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup





  #10  
Old October 3rd 04, 06:07 PM
Ann B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:53:37 +0100, "Paul Smith"
wrote:

"Ann B." wrote in message
.. .

I, along with all other members of the NYPC club, a prestigious
computer user group were advised by the club prisident not to install
SP2 until it is fleshed out as there are too many issues with it.
I've been a member of the club for 15 years and never saw such advice
given before, so I pay attention to it.


Did he actually mention what the issues were with it? I've been running
SP2, way back when it was in beta for months now, it's the most widely
tested Microsoft product ever, all of the stuff gone on that I'm aware of is
the usual anti-Microsoft scare-mongering by the media.

The only "issues" I've come across is the firewall asking for permission for
say a game the first time you run it since SP2 to use a network, which is a
pain if the game is already running as you have to alt-tab out. Which is
perfectly work around-able and isn't really an issue at all as all firewalls
do this.

Since MS doesn't give live tech support for problems encountered when
you load their service packs, I am afraid to risk it. If my computer
starts limping, how am I supposed to get help to fix it?


If you've got a proper retail boxed Microsoft product then live phone and
e-mail support is included with that. If you use OEM then it's down to the
vender.

Loads of people, myself including hang out night and day on these groups and
do nothing but provide support, feel free to use us if you've got any
issues.

SP2 is a "critical" update - the risks of not running it are far greater
then those of something going wrong when installing it.

This might be an interesting read
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx


Thanks, Paul. They didn't say whatthe specific issues were, just that
there were many. Again, they are are very reputable and esteemed
among software/ hardware vendors in the US. So of course I'm wary
about installing. Questions:
1) If I already run a firewall (ZoneAlarm) that works well, what will
SP2 give me in addition?
2) Will I need to remove ZA?
3) Will I need to re-enter all the web addresses that I want to pass
through the SP2 fire wall? (already stored in ZA)
4) I don't use MS Outlook for email. I assume lots of code in SP2 is
designed to protect Outlook. If I don't use it, do I still gain any
benefit?

Thanks much for your advice.
Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.
  #11  
Old October 3rd 04, 06:18 PM
Ann B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:04:55 -0700, "Ken Blake"
wrote:

In ,
Ann B. typed:

I, along with all other members of the NYPC club, a prestigious
computer user group were advised by the club prisident not to
install
SP2 until it is fleshed out as there are too many issues with
it.
I've been a member of the club for 15 years and never saw such
advice
given before, so I pay attention to it.



The President of NYPC is an individual who, like other
individuals, has his own opinions. Undoubtedly he's human like
the rest of us, so some of his opinions are right and some of
them are wrong. Opinions should be evaluated on the basis of
their merit, not on who holds the opinions.

Until three months when my term expired, I too was President of
one of the larger PC User Groups in the USA. My advice is the
opposite of his: most people *should* install SP2.

But much more important than who is President of what, or who
makes any recommendation, is what's behind the recommendation.
I've personally installed SP2 on many machines and I've spoken
with many others who have done the same, or installed it on their
own machines. I've never seen a problem with it, and with very
rare exceptions, none of the others has either.

Whenever a new version of *anything* comes out, you always read
about people having problems." But realize two things:

1. If you're reading about problems *in the newsgroup*, this is
where people come with their problems, not with their successes.
You get a very distorted view of what's going on in the real
world here; as someone once said, "hang around a transmission
shop and you will think that all cars have transmission
problems."

True, but something can be inferred from the number of postings
complaining of problems. There have been many more regarding SP2 than
I'm awaree of with other products. You can't just disregard these
complaints because they're in a newsgroup. Also, complaints about
this SP have appearing in other sources as well: newspapers,
technical papers, magazines, and word of mouth. So whereas there
probably are many installations without problems, it sounds to me like
there are also many with such problems. I just want to be sure what
I'm doing before I wind up spending days trying to put my system back
together if something goes wrong. I've had these experiences in the
past and it's no fun!
2. Most problems, by far, that people report--whether or not they
are SP2-related--have nothing to do with defects in the software.
They result from people's ignorance, from bad or inadequate
hardware, from old drivers, from viruses, from spyware, and so
on. And except for very rare situations, they always get a fix
for their problems, and in most cases, that fix is a very simple
one to implement.

Yes, but after how much trouble? I've had to scratch my PC in the
past and reload everything - a task that took 2 weeks to get to the
point I was before the problem. Don't want that to happen again if it
can be avoided.
Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.
  #12  
Old October 3rd 04, 06:19 PM
Testy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

So you did make it up! My experience is totally the opposite with over 450
machines.

Testy

"Paul Smith" wrote in message
...
"Testy" wrote in message
...
Stop making things up! What is your reliable source for your 99% lie.


My source is my own experience.

I provided recommendations and assisted in upgrading 372 machines on a
network with SP2 when Microsoft released the network install, not one
problem.

I've personally installed it on around 10 machines, then there's about 30
or so more of my friend's machines again no issues.

So that's actually 100% so I am sorry for my mistake.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.

*Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*




  #13  
Old October 3rd 04, 06:20 PM
Paul Smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

"Ann B." wrote in message
...

Thanks, Paul. They didn't say whatthe specific issues were, just that
there were many. Again, they are are very reputable and esteemed
among software/ hardware vendors in the US. So of course I'm wary
about installing. Questions:


1) If I already run a firewall (ZoneAlarm) that works well, what will
SP2 give me in addition?


The Windows Firewall will protect the machine while it's booting too.

I did a preview of SP2 back in April, most of the core improvements are
there
http://windows.dasmirnov.net/articles/sp2preview.php but it does also have
preventatives to stop buffer-under-runs which is a common source of hacking
if you've got a CPU that supports it.

Many people have reported it being a lot "snappier" a little bit faster then
pre-SP2.

2) Will I need to remove ZA?


I'd recommend you disable while installing, and any anti-virus software and
that you're running the latest versions.

3) Will I need to re-enter all the web addresses that I want to pass
through the SP2 fire wall? (already stored in ZA)


You can disable the Windows Firewall (it does still protect during boot) and
just use ZA as you were doing before.

4) I don't use MS Outlook for email. I assume lots of code in SP2 is
designed to protect Outlook. If I don't use it, do I still gain any
benefit?


The code (5 million odd lines have been updated so it is huge) is really to
protect the whole OS, OE now has a few extra settings, and it's bolted down
more securely. SP2 contains updates against the newly emerged problem in
GDI with handling JPEGs (a virus can be exed just by viewing a picture
pre-SP2 for example).

There's really way too much new stuff to list. 8-)

A few pages covering security and the new changes it from MS
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...eoverview.mspx

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.

*Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*


  #14  
Old October 3rd 04, 06:27 PM
Malke
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

Ann B. wrote:

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:05:47 +0100, "Paul Smith"
wrote:

"Ann B." wrote in message
. ..

Any suggestions for getting the unistalled download off my computer
without harming other Windows components?

Thanks for any suggestions.



Service Pack 2 has now probably been installed millions of computers
(if not tens of millions), most (99%) without problem.

Unless you're aware of a specific problem with software you use you
should install it.


I, along with all other members of the NYPC club, a prestigious
computer user group were advised by the club prisident not to install
SP2 until it is fleshed out as there are too many issues with it.
I've been a member of the club for 15 years and never saw such advice
given before, so I pay attention to it.


This is ridiculous advice. SP2 will not be "fleshed out". If proper
preparations are taken - which preparations should *always* be taken
when making *any* change relating to *any* operating system - there
should be no problem installing SP2. I've installed SP2 on close to 150
machines now (all varying mftrs., desktops and laptops) and have been
successful on all of them. Other regular posters have installed SP2 on
far more machines than I have. The key is proper preparation.

Since MS doesn't give live tech support for problems encountered when
you load their service packs, I am afraid to risk it. If my computer
starts limping, how am I supposed to get help to fix it?


Actually, there is plenty of free support for SP2:

SP2 Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=windowsxpsp2

Visiting a Service Center to Get SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._04sept20.mspx

And of course, since you are a member of a computer club, you must know
how to research using the Internet. If your personal computer is an OEM
box, then your first step is the OEM's website. Additionally, here are
some links to help you with SP2:

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=windowsxpsp2

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php - See SP2 forums

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm and
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#General

Order XPSP2 cd
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx

For end users
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

More technical
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../winxpsp2.mspx

How to slipstream sp2 into XP
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?act...showarticle=49
http://www.windows-help.net/windowsx...p2-bootcd.html

SP2 links to OEMs
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

Device drivers known to cause instability in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default...t=windowsxpsp2

HTH,

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
  #15  
Old October 3rd 04, 06:31 PM
Ken Blake
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fearful of SP2

In ,
Ann B. typed:

Questions:
1) If I already run a firewall (ZoneAlarm) that works well,
what will
SP2 give me in addition?



Nothing. In fact ZA is the better firewall (since it monitors
outbound accesses, which the Windows firewall doesn't), and you
should continue using it and turn off the Windows firewall.


2) Will I need to remove ZA?



No. See above.


3) Will I need to re-enter all the web addresses that I want
to pass
through the SP2 fire wall? (already stored in ZA)



No. See above.


4) I don't use MS Outlook for email. I assume lots of code in
SP2 is
designed to protect Outlook. If I don't use it, do I still
gain any
benefit?



The are millions of lines of changed code in SP2. Only some those
fixes and improvements are oriented toward the highly-publicized
things--Security Center, firewall improvements, pop-up blocker,
etc. If you don't install it, you don't get the benefit of those
many changes.


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is SP2 doing - apart from trashing everybody's PC?? Hugh Windows Service Pack 2 41 September 25th 04 06:45 PM
SP2 and IE 6 Error message on first page PA Bear General XP issues or comments 0 September 23rd 04 07:47 AM
some clues to SP2 Behavior Gene Murphy General XP issues or comments 0 September 21st 04 12:19 AM
Has SP2 been issued by MS yet? tom-islander Windows Service Pack 2 4 September 6th 04 12:07 AM
SP2 install delay and other mysteries Papa Windows Service Pack 2 4 August 30th 04 05:55 PM






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.