A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » New Users to Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Problem faced after connect to internet.

Old April 30th 05, 05:00 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Apr 2005
Default Problem faced after connect to internet.

Firstly I must say thank you to this great forum as I solved my msmsgs.exe problem by refering to one of the threads at here.
It took me many hours to figure out why it happens until I came and join here and ge the problem solved.

Well,my problem is as below:
I bought a notebook recently and powered by Windows XP Professional with S.P.2 and I updated all the patches via Windows update homepage(install Windows XP Professional Gold Edition - install Service Pack 2 - updated critical and security updates).My antivirus system is Norton's product.While during normal usage,I only let Norton to run in background and I did not tampered very much with the start-up or terminate any normal processes in the task manager.

I've the default firewall on and turned off the Automatic Updates and did not change the setting much due to I just installed the Windows.I also did not activate any bittorrent programs in the background.

I am using dial-up connection and I disable the Wireless Network connection in the control panel because I do not need to use it for now.Whenever I connect to the internet,once the connection is established,the system seems to stop responding whenever I open new program such as Internet Explorer or right click on the volume icon doesn't "wake up" the system.But I notice it loads the program I clicked into the task manager,just it doesn't respond after I opened the program.And even Ctrl+Alt+Del did not bring the task manager up(I open the task manager to monitor the processes before I connect to the internet).My computer seems hanged for a certain period after an internet connection is estalished.I have turn off those internet chatting programs and disable their options to auto-connect once the internet is on.

I'm sure the conection is established because eventough I cannot use the default internet browser,I still can use the method: open C:\,then insert any website address into the address link.This is one of the method I use in order to browse the internet while waiting for my system to wake up.And I found out after the connection is on,I only can click on my harddrives and other programs will not respond.Even clicking on the connection icon on the taskbar to try to disconnect also doesn't respond.I scanned for viruses and the system seems clean.

My processor is Intel Pentium M 1.7GHz,I know a little bit about this processor and I heard that it will adjust its' speed depending on the systems situation.Is this one of the problem that cause the hanging of my system?Is the processor stop responding after the internet is connected?

The hanging problem is not time-dependant because sometimes the system recovers back after hanged for sometime.This problem happens only after the internet connection is on.

Sorry for asking so many questions but I really need to solve this problem as I have to solve this problem a.s.a.p. because I am going to futher my studies oversea and will bring the laptop with me.

If the problem still persist I think I just have to reinstall the operating system...(and hurt my harddisk again...hahaha).By the way,I'm a Windows 2000 Professional user for almost 3 years...this is my first time using Windows XP series for my computer...if the problem is unsolvable...I might be getting back Windows 2000 into my new notebook...may GOD bless this Windows XP of mine...

Hope someone will notice this message and help the poor soul of mine...really thank you to whoever read and try to help me.Really appreciates whoever take time to read this message.

Cheers
E-RO-SEN-NIN 3004
Ads
Old June 12th 05, 02:56 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Jun 2005

i also have this problem does anyone have any ideas what it might be?
thanks.
Old June 12th 05, 03:00 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Jun 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogie
i also have this problem does anyone have any ideas what it might be?
thanks.
sorry let me be more clear she posted like 4 problems i ahve the same internet problem that she has where no programs on my PC will load. sometimes if i use my non default browser i am able to view webpages but usually not. lease help this is avery annoying and cant find any answers.

Droogie