A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Windows Service Pack 2
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Automatic updates &SP2

Old August 25th 04, 01:45 AM
D&C
external usenet poster

Default Automatic updates &SP2

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
Need help.....a couple of nights ago my updates notified me of sp2 updates
available ( my updates are set to notify me only NOT install ) so i clicked
remind me again in 3 days . Later that evening i went and manually ran
the windows update to see what was there and more importantly the size
of SP2 ..( only have dial up )....it showed SP2 to be around 78 meg...so
obviously not for me on dial up & i didn't want it anyway....hearing
lots of bad stuff .
brHOWEVER  for some unknown reason i now have the updates icon in
my system tray ( i cant close it out ..NO right click option....CAN'T double
click it and get any where , but hover over it and it says down loading
updates....and is sitting there at@ 33 % ...why or how it got there is
beyond me & i want to get rid of it ...don't want the service pack
at this time .If you have any ideas please LMK , reply removing the NOSPAM
or to this post .Any help greatly appreciated
brDwight/html

Ads
Old August 25th 04, 01:49 AM
James Dawson
external usenet poster

If you want to get rid of it, turning off Auto Updates may get rid of it. Sp2 was also 266MB for me to Download...odd at 78MB unless I dl something different... I do know that when it picks up SP2 (AU) it can take a few days for it to start. Actually stopping at 33% may mean it is waiting for a place in the download qeue (line) to finish downloading it. I am told by that SP2 will be on the windows update page within a day or so.

"D&C" wrote in message ...
Need help.....a couple of nights ago my updates notified me of sp2 updates available ( my updates are set to notify me only NOT install ) so i clicked remind me again in 3 days . Later that evening i went and manually ran the windows update to see what was there and more importantly the size of SP2 ..( only have dial up )....it showed SP2 to be around 78 meg...so obviously not for me on dial up & i didn't want it anyway....hearing lots of bad stuff .
HOWEVER for some unknown reason i now have the updates icon in my system tray ( i cant close it out ..NO right click option....CAN'T double click it and get any where , but hover over it and it says down loading updates....and is sitting there at@ 33 % ...why or how it got there is beyond me & i want to get rid of it ...don't want the service pack at this time .If you have any ideas please LMK , reply removing the NOSPAM or to this post .Any help greatly appreciated
Dwight
Old August 25th 04, 02:27 AM
root
external usenet poster

Why not let the process do its own thing and not worry about it?

"D&C" wrote in message ...
Need help.....a couple of nights ago my updates notified me of sp2 updates available ( my updates are set to notify me only NOT install ) so i clicked remind me again in 3 days . Later that evening i went and manually ran the windows update to see what was there and more importantly the size of SP2 ..( only have dial up )....it showed SP2 to be around 78 meg...so obviously not for me on dial up & i didn't want it anyway....hearing lots of bad stuff .
HOWEVER for some unknown reason i now have the updates icon in my system tray ( i cant close it out ..NO right click option....CAN'T double click it and get any where , but hover over it and it says down loading updates....and is sitting there at@ 33 % ...why or how it got there is beyond me & i want to get rid of it ...don't want the service pack at this time .If you have any ideas please LMK , reply removing the NOSPAM or to this post .Any help greatly appreciated
Dwight