A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Windows Service Pack 2
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Removing SP2 - what happens to my apps?

Old June 17th 05, 09:38 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Jun 2005
Default Removing SP2 - what happens to my apps?

Hi, i'm a bit of a Noob so please forgive my ignorance.

I have a genuine copy of XP home with SP2 installed and all of my apps etc were installed AFTER the sp2 install. However, i wish to upgrade to XP professional as i have an education dept disk from work, but unfortunately that copy is older than sp2 and so it won't install over the top as an upgrade. I get an error stating that the copy of xp on the computer is newer than on the cd.

Therefore i was am thinking of unistalling sp2, upgrading to xp pro, then reinstalling sp2 afterwards.

My questions a
1) If i uninstall sp2 will i lose all my apps seeing as though they were installed AFTER the sp2 upgrade?

2) Is this going to work or should i not bother?

Thanks
John

2)
Ads
Old June 17th 05, 04:13 PM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Feb 2005
Lightbulb

[quote=munki[/QUOTE]
Is XP Pro really needed?
If yes, then format & re-install XP Pro, Device Drivers, SP2, Windows Updates, Applications & Data.
You do back up your data & have the CD keys for your applications don't you?
A clean start is best, I always find applications & data I don't use anymore. From your computer manufacturer you should also find updated drivers for your machines bios, device divers, ect. that will work better in SP2.
Same with patches & updates for your applications.
Have fun!
Treeman

"If hard work was such a great thing, the rich would have hogged it all."
Tim Harden