A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows 7 » Windows 7 Forum
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

System Idle Problem!



 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 23rd 17, 05:47 PM posted to alt.windows7.general
OREALLY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default System Idle Problem!


I set up a backup program (Acronis) and a Malwarebyte scan at intervals when
the computer is running with WMP going strong, as well as Thunderbird and
IE. Yet, after a couple of minutes, the computer goes to sleep. According
to the event viewer this is due to "system idle." But the system is clearly
running and is in no way 'idle.' I have the advanced power options set to
SLEEP: NEVER. Is there a way to stop Windows 7 / 64 from reading the system
as idle when scheduled tasks are set up?

Here are the details of the system going to sleep:


Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11/23/2017 3:52:28 AM
Event ID: 42
Task Category: (64)
Level: Information
Keywords: (4)
User: N/A
Computer: Marc-HP
Description:
The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: System Idle
Event Xml:
Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"
System
Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"
Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /
EventID42/EventID
Version2/Version
Level4/Level
Task64/Task
Opcode0/Opcode
Keywords0x8000000000000004/Keywords
TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-11-23T11:52:28.400629100Z" /
EventRecordID3950676/EventRecordID
Correlation /
Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="52" /
ChannelSystem/Channel
ComputerMarc-HP/Computer
Security /
/System
EventData
Data Name="TargetState"4/Data
Data Name="EffectiveState"4/Data
Data Name="Reason"7/Data
Data Name="Flags"0/Data
/EventData
/Event

Ads
  #2  
Old November 24th 17, 06:27 AM posted to alt.windows7.general
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,497
Default System Idle Problem!

OREALLY wrote:

I set up a backup program (Acronis) and a Malwarebyte scan at intervals
when the computer is running with WMP going strong, as well as
Thunderbird and IE. Yet, after a couple of minutes, the computer goes to
sleep. According to the event viewer this is due to "system idle." But
the system is clearly running and is in no way 'idle.' I have the
advanced power options set to
SLEEP: NEVER. Is there a way to stop Windows 7 / 64 from reading the
system as idle when scheduled tasks are set up?

Here are the details of the system going to sleep:


Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11/23/2017 3:52:28 AM
Event ID: 42
Task Category: (64)
Level: Information
Keywords: (4)
User: N/A
Computer: Marc-HP
Description:
The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: System Idle
Event Xml:
Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"
System
Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"
Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /
EventID42/EventID
Version2/Version
Level4/Level
Task64/Task
Opcode0/Opcode
Keywords0x8000000000000004/Keywords
TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-11-23T11:52:28.400629100Z" /
EventRecordID3950676/EventRecordID
Correlation /
Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="52" /
ChannelSystem/Channel
ComputerMarc-HP/Computer
Security /
/System
EventData
Data Name="TargetState"4/Data
Data Name="EffectiveState"4/Data
Data Name="Reason"7/Data
Data Name="Flags"0/Data
/EventData
/Event


They work through a few obscure reasons here.

https://superuser.com/questions/1247...option-setting

Apparently if the OS thinks there was a "remote wakeup"
it is then bound and determined to sleep again. So
rather than being in the running state and seeking
to meet the sleep criterion, it's in a "why did I wake up"
state, and seeking an excuse to go back to sleep.

*******

If the machine is behaving in a desperate manner
(sleeps in seconds), you can try a program like this.
It uses the same trick as multimedia players are supposed
to use. A movie player is also supposed to assert a
Don't Sleep thing while it runs, so that a user will
not be irritated by the OS attempting to sleep
half-way through a movie.

http://www.softwareok.com/?Microsoft/DontSleep

While some people actually have a problem with their
hibernate setting and timer, I take it on face
value, that the "sleep" recorded in your event is
actually S3. And consequently there's no need to
check the S4 (Hibernate) equivalent timer setting.

Some people are seeing the "sleep" behavior after
a specific hour in the day.

Could the behavior come from Scheduled Tasks ?
If so, it might happen once at a particular hour,
but you'd think it would stop after that.

I've been unable to find a decoder that
decodes the "Reason"7 part of your report.
I suspect that is significant. But without
a header file with ENUM types, I won't know what
the 7 means. Some other kinds of messages of
a similar nature, use a text string instead
of that number. I need to find the table for that.

Paul
  #3  
Old November 24th 17, 06:54 AM posted to alt.windows7.general
OREALLY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default System Idle Problem!

Thanks so Much. Please keep me posted!

Marc

"Paul" wrote in message news
OREALLY wrote:

I set up a backup program (Acronis) and a Malwarebyte scan at intervals
when the computer is running with WMP going strong, as well as Thunderbird
and IE. Yet, after a couple of minutes, the computer goes to sleep.
According to the event viewer this is due to "system idle." But the system
is clearly running and is in no way 'idle.' I have the advanced power
options set to
SLEEP: NEVER. Is there a way to stop Windows 7 / 64 from reading the
system as idle when scheduled tasks are set up?

Here are the details of the system going to sleep:


Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11/23/2017 3:52:28 AM
Event ID: 42
Task Category: (64)
Level: Information
Keywords: (4)
User: N/A
Computer: Marc-HP
Description:
The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: System Idle
Event Xml:
Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"
System
Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"
Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /
EventID42/EventID
Version2/Version
Level4/Level
Task64/Task
Opcode0/Opcode
Keywords0x8000000000000004/Keywords
TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-11-23T11:52:28.400629100Z" /
EventRecordID3950676/EventRecordID
Correlation /
Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="52" /
ChannelSystem/Channel
ComputerMarc-HP/Computer
Security /
/System
EventData
Data Name="TargetState"4/Data
Data Name="EffectiveState"4/Data
Data Name="Reason"7/Data
Data Name="Flags"0/Data
/EventData
/Event


They work through a few obscure reasons here.

https://superuser.com/questions/1247...option-setting

Apparently if the OS thinks there was a "remote wakeup"
it is then bound and determined to sleep again. So
rather than being in the running state and seeking
to meet the sleep criterion, it's in a "why did I wake up"
state, and seeking an excuse to go back to sleep.

*******

If the machine is behaving in a desperate manner
(sleeps in seconds), you can try a program like this.
It uses the same trick as multimedia players are supposed
to use. A movie player is also supposed to assert a
Don't Sleep thing while it runs, so that a user will
not be irritated by the OS attempting to sleep
half-way through a movie.

http://www.softwareok.com/?Microsoft/DontSleep

While some people actually have a problem with their
hibernate setting and timer, I take it on face
value, that the "sleep" recorded in your event is
actually S3. And consequently there's no need to
check the S4 (Hibernate) equivalent timer setting.

Some people are seeing the "sleep" behavior after
a specific hour in the day.

Could the behavior come from Scheduled Tasks ?
If so, it might happen once at a particular hour,
but you'd think it would stop after that.

I've been unable to find a decoder that
decodes the "Reason"7 part of your report.
I suspect that is significant. But without
a header file with ENUM types, I won't know what
the 7 means. Some other kinds of messages of
a similar nature, use a text string instead
of that number. I need to find the table for that.

Paul

  #4  
Old November 27th 17, 06:58 PM posted to alt.windows7.general
OREALLY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default System Idle Problem!

I'm just curious: Why would Windows seek an excuse to go back to sleep? It
certainly makes task scheduler kind of unreliable! Fortunately, I found a
program called "Insomnia" which reverses this apparent idiocy on the part of
Microsoft. I think the program you mentioned does the same.

Apparently if the OS thinks there was a "remote wakeup"
it is then bound and determined to sleep again. So
rather than being in the running state and seeking
to meet the sleep criterion, it's in a "why did I wake up"
state, and seeking an excuse to go back to sleep.






"Paul" wrote in message news
OREALLY wrote:

I set up a backup program (Acronis) and a Malwarebyte scan at intervals
when the computer is running with WMP going strong, as well as Thunderbird
and IE. Yet, after a couple of minutes, the computer goes to sleep.
According to the event viewer this is due to "system idle." But the system
is clearly running and is in no way 'idle.' I have the advanced power
options set to
SLEEP: NEVER. Is there a way to stop Windows 7 / 64 from reading the
system as idle when scheduled tasks are set up?

Here are the details of the system going to sleep:


Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11/23/2017 3:52:28 AM
Event ID: 42
Task Category: (64)
Level: Information
Keywords: (4)
User: N/A
Computer: Marc-HP
Description:
The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: System Idle
Event Xml:
Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"
System
Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"
Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /
EventID42/EventID
Version2/Version
Level4/Level
Task64/Task
Opcode0/Opcode
Keywords0x8000000000000004/Keywords
TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-11-23T11:52:28.400629100Z" /
EventRecordID3950676/EventRecordID
Correlation /
Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="52" /
ChannelSystem/Channel
ComputerMarc-HP/Computer
Security /
/System
EventData
Data Name="TargetState"4/Data
Data Name="EffectiveState"4/Data
Data Name="Reason"7/Data
Data Name="Flags"0/Data
/EventData
/Event


They work through a few obscure reasons here.

https://superuser.com/questions/1247...option-setting

Apparently if the OS thinks there was a "remote wakeup"
it is then bound and determined to sleep again. So
rather than being in the running state and seeking
to meet the sleep criterion, it's in a "why did I wake up"
state, and seeking an excuse to go back to sleep.

*******

If the machine is behaving in a desperate manner
(sleeps in seconds), you can try a program like this.
It uses the same trick as multimedia players are supposed
to use. A movie player is also supposed to assert a
Don't Sleep thing while it runs, so that a user will
not be irritated by the OS attempting to sleep
half-way through a movie.

http://www.softwareok.com/?Microsoft/DontSleep

While some people actually have a problem with their
hibernate setting and timer, I take it on face
value, that the "sleep" recorded in your event is
actually S3. And consequently there's no need to
check the S4 (Hibernate) equivalent timer setting.

Some people are seeing the "sleep" behavior after
a specific hour in the day.

Could the behavior come from Scheduled Tasks ?
If so, it might happen once at a particular hour,
but you'd think it would stop after that.

I've been unable to find a decoder that
decodes the "Reason"7 part of your report.
I suspect that is significant. But without
a header file with ENUM types, I won't know what
the 7 means. Some other kinds of messages of
a similar nature, use a text string instead
of that number. I need to find the table for that.

Paul

  #5  
Old November 28th 17, 06:44 AM posted to alt.windows7.general
OREALLY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default System Idle Problem!

I'm just curious: Why would Windows seek an excuse to go back to sleep? It
certainly makes task scheduler kind of unreliable! Fortunately, I found a
program called "Insomnia" which reverses this apparent idiocy on the part of
Microsoft. I think the program you mentioned does the same.

Apparently if the OS thinks there was a "remote wakeup"
it is then bound and determined to sleep again. So
rather than being in the running state and seeking
to meet the sleep criterion, it's in a "why did I wake up"
state, and seeking an excuse to go back to sleep.

"Paul" wrote in message news
OREALLY wrote:

I set up a backup program (Acronis) and a Malwarebyte scan at intervals
when the computer is running with WMP going strong, as well as Thunderbird
and IE. Yet, after a couple of minutes, the computer goes to sleep.
According to the event viewer this is due to "system idle." But the system
is clearly running and is in no way 'idle.' I have the advanced power
options set to
SLEEP: NEVER. Is there a way to stop Windows 7 / 64 from reading the
system as idle when scheduled tasks are set up?

Here are the details of the system going to sleep:


Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11/23/2017 3:52:28 AM
Event ID: 42
Task Category: (64)
Level: Information
Keywords: (4)
User: N/A
Computer: Marc-HP
Description:
The system is entering sleep.

Sleep Reason: System Idle
Event Xml:
Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"
System
Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"
Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /
EventID42/EventID
Version2/Version
Level4/Level
Task64/Task
Opcode0/Opcode
Keywords0x8000000000000004/Keywords
TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-11-23T11:52:28.400629100Z" /
EventRecordID3950676/EventRecordID
Correlation /
Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="52" /
ChannelSystem/Channel
ComputerMarc-HP/Computer
Security /
/System
EventData
Data Name="TargetState"4/Data
Data Name="EffectiveState"4/Data
Data Name="Reason"7/Data
Data Name="Flags"0/Data
/EventData
/Event


They work through a few obscure reasons here.

https://superuser.com/questions/1247...option-setting

Apparently if the OS thinks there was a "remote wakeup"
it is then bound and determined to sleep again. So
rather than being in the running state and seeking
to meet the sleep criterion, it's in a "why did I wake up"
state, and seeking an excuse to go back to sleep.

*******

If the machine is behaving in a desperate manner
(sleeps in seconds), you can try a program like this.
It uses the same trick as multimedia players are supposed
to use. A movie player is also supposed to assert a
Don't Sleep thing while it runs, so that a user will
not be irritated by the OS attempting to sleep
half-way through a movie.

http://www.softwareok.com/?Microsoft/DontSleep

While some people actually have a problem with their
hibernate setting and timer, I take it on face
value, that the "sleep" recorded in your event is
actually S3. And consequently there's no need to
check the S4 (Hibernate) equivalent timer setting.

Some people are seeing the "sleep" behavior after
a specific hour in the day.

Could the behavior come from Scheduled Tasks ?
If so, it might happen once at a particular hour,
but you'd think it would stop after that.

I've been unable to find a decoder that
decodes the "Reason"7 part of your report.
I suspect that is significant. But without
a header file with ENUM types, I won't know what
the 7 means. Some other kinds of messages of
a similar nature, use a text string instead
of that number. I need to find the table for that.

Paul

  #6  
Old November 28th 17, 09:08 PM posted to alt.windows7.general
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,497
Default System Idle Problem!

Wolf K wrote:
On 2017-11-28 00:44, OREALLY wrote:
I'm just curious: Why would Windows seek an excuse to go back to sleep?

[...]

Can you say "laptop batteries"?

:-)


Well, if you bump the mouse, and then make no other
input to the machine, the logic says "this was an
accident", and the machine can then go back to sleep
within five minutes.

I think one night here, the Windows 10 machine was
showing "restart", and I beat it to the draw and
restarted it anyway. A little later, I manually
put it to sleep. The OS left a wake event in the
scheduler. The machine awoke at 4AM or so, because the
scheduler had been set, but went back to sleep again
soon after that. If it wanted, it could have stayed
awake until the next day, because all my machines
are set to "Automatic Sleep: Never". But it did go
back to sleep on its own. (When computers sleep here,
I put them to sleep manually from the menu.)

Paul
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.