A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows 7 » Windows 7 Forum
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Migrating to an SSD



 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #76  
Old April 1st 12, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Allen Drake
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 451
Default Migrating to an SSD

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:28:11 -0700, Gene E. Bloch
wrote:

On 3/30/2012, Allen Drake posted:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 06:22:03 +0000 (GMT), "Rodney Pont"
wrote:


On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:23:49 -0400, Allen Drake wrote:

I did,
however, buy several lottery tickets today in Burlington Ma. If I win
I will cut you in for a few Mil. of the projected half a billion. Good
luck, I hope I win.

When you do can I have your SSDs :-)


Sure. If by some chance I stop moving long enough to look back. Most
likely some shmuck that can't even spell SSD will inherit them when he
cleans out the abandoned home I leave behind.


Well, OK, but don't keep it a secret. How *does* one spell SSD?

Thanks in advance, I need the help :-)


About three hundred at a time.
Ads
  #77  
Old April 1st 12, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Gene E. Bloch[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,720
Default Migrating to an SSD

On 3/31/2012, Allen Drake posted:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:28:11 -0700, Gene E. Bloch
wrote:


On 3/30/2012, Allen Drake posted:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 06:22:03 +0000 (GMT), "Rodney Pont"
wrote:


On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:23:49 -0400, Allen Drake wrote:

I did,
however, buy several lottery tickets today in Burlington Ma. If I win
I will cut you in for a few Mil. of the projected half a billion. Good
luck, I hope I win.

When you do can I have your SSDs :-)
Sure. If by some chance I stop moving long enough to look back. Most
likely some shmuck that can't even spell SSD will inherit them when he
cleans out the abandoned home I leave behind.


Well, OK, but don't keep it a secret. How *does* one spell SSD?

Thanks in advance, I need the help :-)


About three hundred at a time.


???

I'm OK with a small degree of subtlety, but now you've gone way too far
:-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)


  #78  
Old April 1st 12, 02:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Loren Pechtel[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Migrating to an SSD

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:23:49 -0400, Allen Drake
wrote:

Old? I don't think of myself as old. I will be 65 in July. I never
smoked or drank or did drugs. I take no meds and have no known
ailments. I feel like I have always felt since I was a youth. I am not
over weight or out of shape in any way. I work on my feet 10 hours a
day sometimes 7 days a week. I love what I do. I have no children and
owe no one a dime. I pay cash for everything I don't need. I did,
however, buy several lottery tickets today in Burlington Ma. If I will
I will cut you in for a few Mil. of the projected half a billion. Good
luck, I hope I win.


Who are you, John Carter?
  #79  
Old April 1st 12, 02:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Loren Pechtel[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Migrating to an SSD

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 01:52:25 -0400, Allen Drake
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 22:05:56 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:


Allen Drake wrote:
however, buy several lottery tickets today in Burlington Ma. If I will
I will cut you in for a few Mil. of the projected half a billion. Good
luck, I hope I win.


Your tax advisor should have told you that, since you know how to do
arithmetic, you are exempt from paying that tax.


What tax? A capitol gains tax? I bet I pay more then Romney pays for
what he gains every year.


It that what a ruler pays for having a center of government?
  #80  
Old April 1st 12, 02:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Loren Pechtel[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Migrating to an SSD

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:30:42 -0500, "BillW50" wrote:


"Dave-UK" wrote in message
web.com...

"BillW50" wrote in message
...

"Dave-UK" wrote in message
b.com...


And when I check my Win8 box (Intel SSD) the System Restore is
turned off by default.
So I check back on my Win7 box (OCZ-Vertex3) and that is also off
with a weird folder
icon for a 'missing C: drive'. The settings for this missing drive
are greyed out.

http://www.admin1.myzen.co.uk/restore7.PNG

When I try to restore from an earlier time I've no restore points to
access.
I am sure I did not manually turn System Restore off ???

Yes all true! You heard about keeping the swapfile off of the SSD
too, right? And if that is all you got, then to turn the swapfile
off.


What do you mean , ' all true' ? Who disabled System Restore ?


Who disabled System Restore? I dunno, maybe the driver or something. Or
maybe Windows 7 does this for all SSD drives by default, I dunno. And it
has been over 2 years ago that I ran Windows 7 under an SSD. So I don't
recall what it did for System Restore.


System restore works on my Win 7 SSD-equipped machine.
  #81  
Old April 1st 12, 09:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Allen Drake
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 451
Default Migrating to an SSD

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:22:37 -0700, Gene E. Bloch
wrote:

On 3/31/2012, Allen Drake posted:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:28:11 -0700, Gene E. Bloch
wrote:


On 3/30/2012, Allen Drake posted:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 06:22:03 +0000 (GMT), "Rodney Pont"
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:23:49 -0400, Allen Drake wrote:

I did,
however, buy several lottery tickets today in Burlington Ma. If I win
I will cut you in for a few Mil. of the projected half a billion. Good
luck, I hope I win.

When you do can I have your SSDs :-)
Sure. If by some chance I stop moving long enough to look back. Most
likely some shmuck that can't even spell SSD will inherit them when he
cleans out the abandoned home I leave behind.

Well, OK, but don't keep it a secret. How *does* one spell SSD?

Thanks in advance, I need the help :-)


About three hundred at a time.


???

I'm OK with a small degree of subtlety, but now you've gone way too far
:-)


Well, that's about how it went with me. I surely didn't get them all
at once. On an off week or so I might have slipped in a 128GB or the
Crucial Adrenaline but most are the 256GB versions. I even put one in
my Netbook. That one really needed something to bring it up to speed.
  #82  
Old April 1st 12, 09:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Allen Drake
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 451
Default Migrating to an SSD

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 18:23:52 -0700, Loren Pechtel
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:23:49 -0400, Allen Drake
wrote:

Old? I don't think of myself as old. I will be 65 in July. I never
smoked or drank or did drugs. I take no meds and have no known
ailments. I feel like I have always felt since I was a youth. I am not
over weight or out of shape in any way. I work on my feet 10 hours a
day sometimes 7 days a week. I love what I do. I have no children and
owe no one a dime. I pay cash for everything I don't need. I did,
however, buy several lottery tickets today in Burlington Ma. If I will
I will cut you in for a few Mil. of the projected half a billion. Good
luck, I hope I win.


Who are you, John Carter?


No, I've never been to Mars.
  #83  
Old April 1st 12, 08:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Tom Del Rosso[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Migrating to an SSD


Allen Drake wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 18:23:52 -0700, Loren Pechtel
wrote:

Who are you, John Carter?


No, I've never been to Mars.


Maybe you don't remember.


--

Reply in group, but if emailing add one more
zero, and remove the last word.


  #84  
Old April 2nd 12, 08:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Allen Drake
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 451
Default Migrating to an SSD

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 15:18:10 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:


Allen Drake wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 18:23:52 -0700, Loren Pechtel
wrote:

Who are you, John Carter?


No, I've never been to Mars.


Maybe you don't remember.



This elephant never forgets.

  #85  
Old April 2nd 12, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
J. P. Gilliver (John)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,631
Default Migrating to an SSD

In message , Allen Drake
writes:
[]
at once. On an off week or so I might have slipped in a 128GB or the
Crucial Adrenaline but most are the 256GB versions. I even put one in
my Netbook. That one really needed something to bring it up to speed.


And how well did it succeed?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Santa's elves are just a bunch of subordinate Clauses.
  #86  
Old April 3rd 12, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Allen Drake
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 451
Default Migrating to an SSD

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 21:14:48 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Allen Drake
writes:
[]
at once. On an off week or so I might have slipped in a 128GB or the
Crucial Adrenaline but most are the 256GB versions. I even put one in
my Netbook. That one really needed something to bring it up to speed.


And how well did it succeed?


Very well. It still has XP but I gave it more ram so it is more than
I expected. The upgrade cost more then the original purchase but fits
nicely mounted on my right and can still fit someone in the passenger
seat. Does a great job as a 10" screen GPS with DeLorme Street Atlas
software installed.

  #87  
Old May 6th 12, 09:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Bob H
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 258
Default Migrating to an SSD

On 25/03/2012 12:42, dweebken wrote:
On 25/03/2012 9:34 AM, Drew wrote:
My ssd scores a 7.2

My SSD scores 7.5 on a laptop on the WEI.


My SSD scores 7.9 on a desktop PC
  #88  
Old May 6th 12, 09:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,572
Default Migrating to an SSD

On 06/05/2012 4:22 AM, Bob H wrote:
On 25/03/2012 12:42, dweebken wrote:
On 25/03/2012 9:34 AM, Drew wrote:
My ssd scores a 7.2

My SSD scores 7.5 on a laptop on the WEI.


My SSD scores 7.9 on a desktop PC


That usually just means that you have SATA3 rather than SATA2.

Yousuf Khan
  #89  
Old May 6th 12, 10:21 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Bob H
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 258
Default Migrating to an SSD

On 06/05/2012 09:23, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 06/05/2012 4:22 AM, Bob H wrote:
On 25/03/2012 12:42, dweebken wrote:
On 25/03/2012 9:34 AM, Drew wrote:
My ssd scores a 7.2
My SSD scores 7.5 on a laptop on the WEI.


My SSD scores 7.9 on a desktop PC


That usually just means that you have SATA3 rather than SATA2.

Yousuf Khan



Actually, I initially connected the SSD to a sata 3 port on my main
board and it either scored 7.3 or 7.5, not sure now. Then more recently
I bought a PCI SATA 6Gbs card and connected the SSD to that, and it is
because of that it scores 7.9
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.